Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Vinyl Adhesive / Wall Papers to Tiles

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

Vinyl Adhesive / Wall Papers to Tiles

Hello Members,

I hope you had a good weekend.

Reaching out to you for suggestion on 'vinyl adhesive roll' (Figure 1) on Kitchen tiles.

Figure 1:

Figure 1Figure 1

'Figure 2' shows area of 'Wall tiles' where above vinyl adhesive rolls are to be applied.

Figure 2:

nagumuthu_0-1599378256224.png

I tried to stick 'vinyl adhesive roll' on Kitchen tiles. Observed 'Airbubbles' at some spots when applying 'vinyl roll' to tiles.

Looking for ways to apply 'vinyl roll' to Kitchen wall tiles perfectly without any airbubble. Are there any tools available from bunnings for the application. Moreover, I need to cut out areas (for switches, powerpoints) on the roll; Can you please propose any tools [ Is a knife sufficient (or) better tool is available] for cutting needs.

Looking forward hearing from you.

Best Wishes

M.Muthu.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Vinyl Adhesive / Wall Papers to Tiles

Hi @nagumuthu,

Vinyl is notoriously hard to apply without getting any air bubbles. I believe the parents around Australia can attest to this at the start of every school year whilst trying to apply it to their children's textbooks. I would recommend you start at one side and only pull the backing off as you are applying the vinyl. The use of a QEP 6 Tradesman Grout Squeegee will come in handy to push the bubbles out as you are laying down the vinyl. Any remaining bubbles you can come back and puncture with a pin to release the air.

A sharp utility knife would be your best option for cutting the vinyl.

Let me mention @Tara86 and @prettyliving to see if they have any experience in applying adhesive vinyl to surfaces.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Hi 

I've noticed you have a gas burner. From a safety perspective, It maybe worthwhile considering how the vinyl may response to the heat and direct flame due to the proximity.

Depending on which state you are in, there are typically some regulations around material you can use in the area directly behind gas burners.

Kind regards 

Rufaro

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Hi @nagumuthu 

I’ve used vinyl contact for a few projects before and I find that it only really works if the area you are working on is perfectly smooth. I’m not sure how it would go on tiles as you would have air pockets where the grout is, so overtime it may lift up in the areas surrounding those air pockets.

Unless you cut the vinyl to the size of the tiles and avoid applying over the grout altogether? It would also be easier to apply as you can work in smaller sections. 

Hello Pretty Living.

Are there be any rolling cutters / tools on the market that makes the cutting process easy to required tile sizes, other then knife. If not, frabricating a template of tile size will help. This is just in idea stage and I have not fabricated a template before. Methods of creating the template is appreciated.

Best wishes

M.Muthu.

Hello MitchellMc,

Thanks for the proposals. 

We will consider the 'Wall art panels' after trying out vinyl rolls as we already bought the rolls and excited to see its true performance on tiles. 

I came across, A4 paper cutters that slice the papers to required dimensions. Wondering on any similar cutters for trimming large sheets of size

45cm X 2m.

I will keep 'Wall art panel' in que to this project and raise for any question if that jumps to front of the que.

Best Wishes

M.Muthu.

Hello Rufaro,

Well said. That sounds true from safety point of view.

We will consider other option of 'Wall art panels' in front of 'grey tiles'; That might consume 3 to 4mm space around the bench top; From safety (fire) point of view to explore more on using the 'Wall art panels'

Best Wishes

M.Muthu.

Hi @nagumuthu,

I just wanted to let you know I've made contact with the supplier of our Wall Art panels. Unfortunately, they are not suitable for use anywhere near stovetops as they are not resistant to heat at all.

Mitchell

Hello Mitchel,

Thanks for taking it up with supplier on its thermal properties. That allows us to consider replacing current tiles with 'Marble look' tiles. Can that be done by ourself buying necessary items for the project (or) only someone with the trade knowledge can do it.

Best Wishes

M.Muthu.

Hi @nagumuthu,

You can D.I.Y. the project and we would be more than happy to assist you in the process. To get a great finish you will need to put a significant amount of work into the project and you might need to repair the wall once the tiles are removed.

Can I ask why you would like to replace the tiles with marble look tiles? Do you not like the look of the current tiles?

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects