Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What can I use to cover the base of this serving window?

wallyhk
Finding My Feet

What can I use to cover the base of this serving window?

I had a recent kitchen renovation done and the old kitchen bench and serving shelf had this laminate/linoleum thing covering it. That's now removed and the benchtops have been replaced however the serving window is now stripped back to the wood.

Any ideas on what I could put here over the top of the exposed wood? Its a small job so anything that I could source in a small qty would be helpful.20231026_101634.jpg 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What can I use to cover the base of this serving window?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @wallyhk. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about finishing a serving window.

It really depends on the look that you want to achieve. You could cut down a timber panel and coat it with a clear polyurethane, which would work quite well. Or, you could install a length of something like 285 x 19mm 2.4m DAR Pine Premium and paint it white. If you want to make a bit of a feature out of it, you could look at tiling the surface. 

If any of those options sound like something that would work for you, let me know, and I can provide further installation guidance.

Let me mention a few of our talented members, @2Belindas and @redbournreno, to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell really appreciate the advice. 

I like your idea on the timber panel with a clear polyurethane coat I'll go with that. A quick follow up; when affixing the timber to the top would you recommend using a liquid nails type adhesive to secure it and then white silicone on the edges?

many thanks

Andrew

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @wallyhk 

The Selleys Liquid Nails and the White Silicone will do nicely. I propose using Cabot's Benchtop Clear for the timber panel. It's water-based for easy application and is food safe when fully cured.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Perfect thanks Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated on your project Andrew (@wallyhk) and please reach out again if you have further questions. We'll be keen to see your results.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects