Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What kitchen sink plumbing is this? And how do I replace it?

Dimitri1
Finding My Feet

What kitchen sink plumbing is this? And how do I replace it?

Hi all. The house that I recently bought has this very strange kitchen sink and plumbing that I've never seen before. I initially thought it was a garbage disposal unit but it's not. Can anyone tell me where this comes from and what the best way is to get rid of it? I've looked for plumbing supplies at Bunnings that could fit this massive sink but haven't had any luck.

The dirty sink water doesn't flow, it just floods into this large unit and sits there until enough water pressures the flow. And over time stinks beyond anything with all that dirty water gathered in the unit.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

20231104_152823.jpg

20231104_152839.jpg

Dimitri1
Finding My Feet

Re: what kitchen sink plumbing is this? And how do I replace it?

The other issue is that within the unit, the outlet pipe which is supposed to drain the water sits about  3cm above the bottom of the unit, which causes dirty water to gather about 3cm high  around the outlet pipe in the round unit, until it overflows into the outlet pipe.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dimitri1,

This appears to be a proprietary sink/waste system. From what I can ascertain, the large portion under the sink contains a food collection basket. The basket is likely filled and preventing water from flowing down the drain pipe. I can't imagine that basket is accessed from underneath. Can you please post an image of inside the sink? I presume that the plug area will lift, or you might need to unscrew it. 

Is this in a caravan, as it's not something you'd typically see in a home? The sink doesn't appear to have a sink trap, which is required to prevent smells from emitting from your drain, or pipes that are suitably sized for a sink drain. However, I feel the basket/food trap is likely filled, and that's where the blockage and smell are coming from.

I would have thought the outlet pipe would be the one on the bottom. Does the pipe on the bottom go to another sink?

If you were after replacing the outlet, then you first need to ascertain the size of the hole in the sink. If you remove the waste and measure it, you can then check the available units in-store.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell

The sink is in our hosue kitchen.

20231106_113145.jpg

20231106_113340.jpg

The sink outlet unit has a brand name on it saying Yoyo. It appears to be a Korean brand.

The outlet pipe is the one at the bottom, but the pipe isn't fully recessed in the disposal unit. As per the photo I'll post.

I've measured the outlet unit and it is 15cm in diameter.

The following photos may give a better indication of what I'm referring to in my post. 

Also, there is a basket to catch food particles between the unit outlet and the sink hole. I haven't included that photo as it's inconsequential. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dimitri1,

The whole installation is a bit of a mess. I can see now that due to the raised outlet, water is retained in the bottom of the unit. Also, the pipe connected to the bottom of the unit goes through the wall at a higher point than the bottom of the unit, so water will only ever drain to that point.

I'm unsure if this installation would meet compliance requirements as there is no trap or adequately sized piping. It would be best to enlist the services of a plumber to take a look for you. I suspect you'll need to replace the sink with something that can accept a compliant trap and waste.

Due to the oversized nature of this unit, I am unaware of a waste outlet that you could retrofit it with.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thought that would be the case. Thanks Mitchell.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects