Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What timer for small electric hot water system?

filthy
Getting Established

What timer for small electric hot water system?

my office kitchen has a small 25L plug in hot water system. Hot water usage is minimal, really just to wash a few dishes and coffee mugs 

https://www.reece.com.au/product/thermann-25l-3-6kw-single-element-electric-hot-9507166

I want to install a timer to save on power costs to only run a few hours around lunchtime. Would this one be ok to use?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-24-hour-compact-heavy-duty-analogue-timer_p0043489

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What timer for small electric hot water system?

Hi @filthy,

That might be a question best posed to the manufacturer of the unit.  If the unit has a 10amp plug, then that would be our most suitable timer, though I'd suggest you speak with a qualified electrician about its suitability. They can also establish whether the circuit it is on is off-peak as it might be doing the majority of heating at night when the rate for electricity is cheaper. Also, having to heat up from cold each day might actually use more energy than if it's just maintaining hot water over a 24-hour period—things to keep in mind.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: What timer for small electric hot water system?

Good Morning @filthy 

Putting a timer like that on a 3.6KW heater would be a large no no. As Mitch pointed out it would take more energy to heat up if turned off. These heaters are designed to heat up and then stay at a constant temperture with minimal extra electricity until needed. 

Depending on how many people you have at lunch time you could go the route of an instantanious heater. But for anything over 6 or 7 people you may want more then an electric jug (especially to wash dishes)

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects