Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

motion sensor lighting

lindaperry
Finding My Feet

motion sensor lighting

I need motion sensor lighting in my scullery. Can someone recommend a good light. One that turns on when you go in & turns off when you go out. thanks

Heather-Russell
Finding My Feet

Re: motion sensor lighting

Hi Linda, we got a Lytworx 2 cob motion sensor from Bunnings $10. Last week for our Airbnb the light was so bright it is great. It attaches with magnets or double sided tape, it also  came with batteries. 

We were amazed how good it is.

Screenshot_20200602-202833_Chrome.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@lindaperry,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so glad to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with anything.

Great to see you have already received a very helpful response to your lighting question. Let us know if that product suits or if you would like other recommendations.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Heather-Russell,

Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experience. I'm sure Linda and other community members will really appreciate the recommendation. 

How has your Airbnb property been going? It must have been a difficult few months for you. I hope things are starting to get back to normal. 

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. You'll find this is a really helpful community full of friendly people sharing great advice, information and inspiring projects. Please let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site. We're here to help.

Jason

thanks for your msg Heather - Russell. I was after one that stays on till you walk out.? Can it be connected to mains as well?  did you put your light in scullery too thanks

Hi @lindaperry,

The light @Heather-Russell posted previously has a motion sensor and timer in-built. It will stay on until the timer runs out and it has not sensed any movement for a period of time. Most of these style lights are now battery powered as with improved L.E.D technology the run time is substantially better than what it was years ago. There are some mains power motion-sensing night lights, but they are generally designed to plug into power points and put out a limited amount of light.

If there is already a ceiling light in the scullery you might be interested in having a movement sensor wired inline with it. When you enter the movement sensor will turn on the light and when you exit it will turn it off. 

If you had further questions or need advice, please let me know.

Mitchell

Hi Lindaperry,

This type of device might be more what you're looking for...

It switches on the light when you open the door and turns off the light when you close it..

Very much like a fridge door switch..

https://www.insteon.com.au/INSTEON_Open-Close_Sensor.html

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects