Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

A refreshed rolltop desk

Lizbeth1
Finding My Feet

A refreshed rolltop desk

AB7ADB27-5FFF-46E4-9465-D584E6742E00.jpeg

This roadside find was ripe for a serious refresh, ready for a whole new life. Seeking to create something with a wow factor I pulled the back off to find out how the roll top actually works. I removed loads a stables, nails and backfilled any in prominent places.

Finding that everything was in good shape, I was able to slide the roll top out and then set about stripping back all of the tired lacquer and repainting the sides and top in Dulux primer, Dulux black fox, and sealing this with a clear sealer for longevity.

The shelving, desk top and roll top were recovered with a Feast and Watson’s Scandinavian oil, breathing new life into the hard wood lustre of the roll top.

With the desk now taking shape, I turned to the botanical feature - I sought out a wallpaper with a black background and botanical features that really pop.
I applied the wall paper to the back of the desk and also the draw sides. I found that the wall paper wouldn’t stick to the drawer base, so instead used a template and the same black paint to stamp inside the draws for a nice little feature.

Next up was to put everything back together, apply candle wax to the draw runners and roll top groove so that everything moves smoothly and start using!!

This roll top desk is a feature conversation starter and one of my favourite furniture refreshes. Even better, I saved this basic 1980s pine desk from landfill giving it a whole new life!

6AE054B4-9BBE-4ABF-880F-0ED5B7CCC2A0.jpeg

E771064E-8D46-4BA9-9659-6B5F1966F9C2.jpeg

EAAC5689-1462-4DF7-A78B-CE0DB813A756.jpeg

AD96026C-4C7C-4CA3-B0DF-0CBB66704651.jpeg

A5F0FFF4-CC1D-484C-9028-E3060944FBF3.jpeg

52543D2C-3D1B-48FC-B9B7-CF8505EDFDB1.jpeg

A4A261BF-7212-4DD1-ADC8-F0719EDF6047.jpeg

!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: A refreshed rolltop desk

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Lizbeth1. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing this wonderful project.

What a stunning transformation! I'm so pleased to see you save this functional piece from landfill. No doubt your efforts with see its life extended significantly. I love the wallpaper you've chosen and the colour paint on the unit. It all comes together very nicely.

Some of my favourite brass knurled knobs would look gorgeous on this unit.

Thanks for sharing once again, and I look forward to seeing what you tackle next.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects