Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bedside tables and bedhead upcycle

Kaz1971
Cultivating a Following

Bedside tables and bedhead upcycle

Trying to be sustainable I thought I would attempt an upcycle DIY on my bedroom furniture rather than throwing out and buying new!.

I wanted this set to fit in better with my other furniture in my small 1 bedroom apartment which meant going white. 

I decided to change the look of the bedside table by removing the top drawer and turning it into a shelf so I could use this for book storage/phone charging etc.  With the bedhead painting it white was going to be too much so I decided to upholster it instead and managed to source the same fabric my couch in the lounge room is made from so the rooms had a connection colour wise.

So excited with how it all turned out!

Bedroom Suite AfterBedroom Suite AfterBedroom Suite BeforeBedroom Suite BeforeBedside Table beforeBedside Table beforeBedside Table AfterBedside Table AfterBedhead BeforeBedhead BeforeBedhead AfterBedhead After

Akanksha
Projects Editor
Projects Editor

Re: Bedside tables and bedhead upcycle

Hello @Kaz1971

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're stoked to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing this lovely upcycling project.

It's always great to see new life being breathed into old objects. You've changed the whole look and feel of the room with your efforts, and your bedroom looks more modern and inviting now. I enjoy themes and patterns, and I'm loving the sense of continuity you created by matching your bedhead's fabric with that of your couch. Well done.

How long did this project take and what was the approximate cost? I'm sure our members will be interested in replicating your project as it looks like it could be easily achieved. 

Congratulations on a great job, and looking forward to seeing more of your D.I.Y. work. 

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kaz1971
Cultivating a Following

Hi Akanksha

Thank you for your comments!  Price wise the beside tables - British Paints Paint and Prime which worked wonders on the dark stain.  It was around $80 but I only used a small amount considering the size of the tin. MDF for the shelf, Melamine for the backing, trim for the front edge of the shelf - that was about $20.  The knobs were a set of Taskmaster 30mm Crystal Cabinet Knob - 4 Pack for about $12, I bought these to match the shoe cabinet which is not in the photo.  The bedhead was $100 for the fabric (2m) luckily they gave me 2.2m of it because I measured wrong... what's that saying about measure twice cut once?? and about $130 for the foam.  I had hoped to do this all on small budget as it all new to me, but the fun I've had in doing these projects has been well worth it.  On to projects 3 and 4!!

Cheers, Kaz 

Excellent, thanks for providing those details, Kaz (@Kaz1971) - I'm sure our members will find this information very useful. 

Loving your D.I.Y. enthusiasm, and great to read you're having fun in your journey. Good luck for your other projects!

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects