Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best fast-acting non-drip glue for attaching metal to MDF

bekyboo
Just Starting Out

Best fast-acting non-drip glue for attaching metal to MDF

Hi all, I’m wanting glue advice. I took off these dollhouse doors off with the idea that I would take off the piano hinges and replace them as they were rusted. However the top layer of the hinge is actually glued on not nailed in. So instead I just treated the metal and repainted the hinges and door and went to reattach.... but the screws damaged the sides of the dollhouse. Now I need glue recommendations. To attach metal to MDF, it has to fast drying and doesn’t drip as I need to attach with the house laying down instead of being upright.

E12FD5CE-2A44-446D-B501-43A388EE24F9.jpeg

3B1A3C3C-5539-4E94-ABB6-D7E589BA9C86.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: best fast acting non drip glue

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bekyboo. It's amazing that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about adhesives.

My recommendation would be Selleys 325g Liquid Nails Rapid Cure Strong Waterproof Adhesive. It has a 10 minute cure time on most surfaces and is clear, which means cleanup will be a breeze.

I'd also suggest either trying to move the locations of the screws or repairing the damaged timber. Even if you place some glue in damaged holes before inserting the screws should work. The glue will probably be strong enough to hold by itself, but having the screws holding on as well would be beneficial.

The only alternative I can think of to this would be some superglue, but I'm not sure whether that would be up to the task.

Let me mention @EricL as he's an expert on adhesives and might have some other suggestions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: best fast acting non drip glue

Hello @bekyboo, it's great that you've received excellent advice from @MitchellMc about which adhesive to use for your repairs.

I totally agree with @MitchellMc's recommendation of adhesive. It's a rapid cure adhesive and should work well with bonding steel to timber. I suggest using a clamp if applicable to give you a very secure bond between the two surfaces. My only other advice is to place some cardboard under the hinge while it is drying off just to be safe.

We would love to see the finished revamp of the dollhouse, please let us know if you need assistance with anything else.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Best fast-acting non-drip glue for attaching metal to MDF

How did your repair go @bekyboo? Please let us know if you need any further assistance. We're here to help.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects