Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best topcoat or clear coat for painted furniture?

Amylee
Getting Established

Best topcoat or clear coat for painted furniture?

Hi

I recently painted my tallboy and bedside tables.

I sanded and primed them then painted it with taubmans water based interior black paint low sheen.

I want to protect the tops with top coat or clear coat but I am unsure which would be best to use... I am not after a shiny finish but a low sheen or something close to low sheen that will give a smooth finish no streaky/cloudy or yellow finish.

20220206_233334.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Best Topcoat or Clear coat

Hi @Amylee 

What a gorgeous bedside table you have created!

Thank you for sharing with the community, we would love to know your process. 

I recently finished off an upcycle project with Gilly's 200ml Lavender Cream - Bunnings Australia - it gave it a light sheen and smoothed out some imperfections as well.

Definitely give the wax some time to settle (around 30min) before buffing with a lint-free cloth. 

Let me tag @craftyhopper @lifestylebymari @prettyliving as they have also done great upcycling projects and can give their advice on how to finish off the project. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Re: Best Topcoat or Clear coat

Hi @Amylee 

I’ve always used Cabots satin water based  cabothane clear for painted furniture and have never had any issues with it. 
If you use a good quality roller it will come up perfectly with no streaks. 
https://www.bunnings.com.au/cabot-s-500ml-satin-water-based-cabothane-clear-polyurethane-varnish_p15...

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Best topcoat or clear coat for painted furniture?

How did you go with choosing a clear coat @Amylee?

If you need further recommendations, I am happy to tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts Mitch and Eric to share their suggestions.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects