Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can an Arlec 120cm 4 Blade DC ceiling fan replace existing lights?

spurush
Just Starting Out

Can an Arlec 120cm 4 Blade DC ceiling fan replace existing lights?

I would like to replace my existing lights in 2 bedrooms with a Fan with LED light and another room which has a AC fan.

My Electrician advised me to buy the fans for replacement. I am thinking of buying the arlec 120cm  DC fan with led light. I am not sure if this can be done since this is a DC FAN.

Since the new fan states DC , Can this be used to replace the lights and the existing AC FAN ?

Do these fans come with built-in AC-> DC converters or Will my Electrician be using a separate transformer ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Arlec 120cm 4 Blade DC Ceiling Fan

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @spurush. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about ceiling fans.

That's likely a question best posed to your electrician. AC and DC fans run off 240V electricity, which will be available. So, there shouldn't be any issue replacing the AC fan for a DC version. However, with the lighting, additional wiring might be needed for the fan replacement. Let me mention @CSParnell and @MikeTNZ for their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @spurush great question.

These are a DC motor fan which I'll go into the Advantages and Disadvantages below but in terms of a seperate transformer there will be some type conversion electronic device from AC power to DC power but it will be integrated to fit within the fan but ask a Bunnings Team Member if they can open a box and check with you (so you don't get suspected for theft). 

As for the Advantages and Disadvantages 

DC (Direct Current) fans operate using a direct current electrical power source, which differentiates them from AC (Alternating Current) fans. Here's a breakdown of how they work and their advantages and disadvantages:

### How DC Fans Work

1. **Power Source**: DC fans use direct current, which provides a constant voltage and current flow.

2. **Motor**: Inside a DC fan, there's a DC motor that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. This motor usually has permanent magnets and a rotating armature.

3. **Speed Control**: DC fans often have more efficient speed control, achieved through varying the input voltage or through electronic means. This allows for a broader range of speeds and better control over the fan's operation.

### Advantages

1. **Energy Efficiency**: DC fans generally use less energy compared to AC fans, which makes them more cost-effective in the long run.

2. **Speed Control**: They offer precise control over speeds, which is beneficial for applications requiring variable airflow.

3. **Quieter Operation**: DC fans tend to operate more quietly, making them suitable for environments where noise is a concern.

4. **Smaller Size**: They can be more compact due to their efficient design and motor size.

5. **Longer Lifespan**: The reduced energy usage and improved design can lead to a longer lifespan for the fan.

### Disadvantages

1. **Initial Cost**: DC fans can be more expensive initially compared to AC fans.

2. **Power Source Limitation**: They require a constant DC power source, which may not be readily available in all settings, especially in residential areas where AC power is standard. (Not applicable in Domestic)

3. **Complexity**: The technology in DC fans, especially those with variable speed control, can be more complex, potentially leading to higher maintenance costs or difficulties in repair. (Not applicable in Domestic)

DC fans are particularly favored in applications where energy efficiency, low noise, and precise control over speed are essential. However, the choice between DC and AC fans ultimately depends on the specific requirements of the application, including factors like the availability of power sources, cost considerations, and the desired performance characteristics.

I hope that helps some.

Carl

file-yS1f3gicowK2egdIqjsHVVWF.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Just to clarify @CSParnell, I would presume something like the Arlec 120cm White Matte AER 4 Blade DC Ceiling Fan With LED Light to have an integrated convertor to DC; making the need for a DC power source not an issue as it could be connected to the AC already at that point. Are DC fans without integrated convertors something you'd find in a retail setting like Bunnings? Honestly, I presumed they would all have an integrated converter and be designed to run off the commonly available AC.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc They should be integrated or at least be a little box that fits inside the fan ceiling cup. I can't honestly say I looked inside one of the boxes maybe this can be clarified? 

You shouldn't have to buy any additional components 

Hi @spurush,

I'll double-check with Arlec after the weekend to ensure the fans would be a straight swap for your electrician.

Mitchell

Hi @spurush,

I've just confirmed that the DC fans only require your standard AC input and have an inbuilt convertor to DC—no need to supply the fan with DC power. So, in answer to your question, provided the installed cabling is adequate, it will be a straight swap for your electrician.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects