Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Carpet Grippers Sticking Through Carpet

New Contributor

Carpet Grippers Sticking Through Carpet

Hello,

My newly installed carpet has lots of spikes (aka carpet grippers) which can be felt along the perimeter. I cut my foot the other day accidentally when my foot moved near the skirting board. It was quite painful.

Does anyone have any advice about how to manage the spikes protuding through the carpet? I understand these spikes are holding the carpet taut but I'm worried that I or someone else may cut themselves again.

I'm worried that if I hammer the spikes with the mallet they may go down completely and stop holding the carpet taut. 

Does anyone have advice on how these spikes can be managed? Is there a tool which can be used to point the spikes sideways? Or some other solution?

Appreciate any help or feedback.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Carpet Grippers Sticking Through Carpet

Sorry to hear you cut yourself @Moe!

Was this a DIY job or done by a business/professional? If the latter, get them out to fix it urgently given it's such a safety hazard.

If the former, I'm not sure what could be done beside reinstalling a gripper with shorter spikes to better suit the thickness of the carpet base. Sorry, I'm not a carpet expert. It may be possible to place some padding between the gripper and the underside of the carpet.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @homeprojectco
New Contributor

Thanks for the response Pete.

It was a professional job done in a newly constructed home I purchased. Not getting much joy from the builder when I mentioned the issue.

Might be something to live with.

Trusted Contributor

Absolutely not something for you to just live with! Your builder can not leave you with such a substandard install job, partcularly when it's a safety hazard and even more so considering you've already cut yourself on it.

Not letting builders get away with things isn't just something I'm passionate about (as you'll see from my other posts), it's your basic right not have a safe house built for you. Please don't let this slide with them @Moe. They need to address it. And they need to do it soon.

Put some safety tape over it in the meantime to avoid further injuries.

----------
Handy and helpful
New Contributor

Thanks Pete. I have had your advice confirmed by several different industry and consumer third parties.

Have followed up with builder in writing. Thanks again.
Trusted Contributor

No worries at all - keen to hear how it plays out.

----------
Handy and helpful
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good luck @Moe. Great to see you get some fantastic advice from one of our leading community members for your first post on the site. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a home improvement project. We look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. 

Welcome to the community,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects