Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Chair restoration

pepsp
Having an Impact

Chair restoration

Just thought I'd share my chair rennovation project completed during 2020 (thanks to lockdown I had plenty of time!)

image_2422f345-9f3d-4cc8-a790-2b0bdab77e7120201114_074714.jpg

It was pretty simple to remove the chair bases - 4 screws held them in place. Then chairs were scrubbed with sugar soap and a kitchen scouring pad, left to dry and then lightly hand sanded with some fine sand paper.

20201011_163641.jpg

I used a spray gun to apply 2x coats of dulux 1 step prep then 2x coats of Aquanamel semi gloss. There is a bit of overspray so don't forget the respirator and safety glasses!

FB_IMG_1609618304120.jpg

20201017_092203.jpg

The upholstery was secured with around 60 staples per cushion. I must say it was a bit of a mission to remove the staples to get the old fabric off because the staples were well embedded in the upholstery. Eventually I settled on a sharp 10mm chisel which could get right under the staples, and some pliers for any stubborn ends.

Once the staples were removed it was a matter of cutting the new fabric to size (sourced from Spotlight) and securing the new fabric with a staple gun.

Ready in time for Christmas!

received_148822766812602.jpeg

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Re: Chair restoration

Those came up sweet mate, love your work!

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

What a great result @pepsp and a new life for those chairs.

So much better than seeing them on a kerbside cleanout, you should be proud.

Stuart.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great result @pepsp. Many thanks for sharing this project with the community. As @Stuardo mentioned, its so much better to be able to rejuvenate furniture rather than replacing it. I'm sure your great work will inspire others so we have featured it on our Project Gallery.

Congratulations,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects