Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Chalk paint dresser project - how to start?

Tinyfeather60
Growing in Experience

Chalk paint dresser project - how to start?

E9A74225-3ADD-4DB8-898B-6BBEFB206F00.jpegHi everyone hope everyone is safe and keeping busy I would like some help with how to start a chalk painting project on my old dresser and side tables I have joined a group but they don’t seem to be forth coming about how to begin they all have been doing it forever I have a pic of the colour and wonder if anyone can help or if they know if Bunnings has paint in this colour

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: chalk paint

Hi @Tinyfeather60,

There's a couple of brands which offer chalk paint in our stores. Rust-Oleum has several colours and their website shows the colour range available. Dulux also has several recommended colours which you can view on their website. These colours have been specifically formulated so that they are a correct colour match when mixed into the chalk paints. If you were to select that green colour from the Dulux colour wall and request it be mixed into the chalk paint it will not end up being the same colour.

According to Dulux, the only way you could get a similar colour in something resembling a chalk paint effect would be to have it mixed up in a Dulux matt paint. As with the chalk effects paints, the surface of your cabinet needs to be sanded back to raw timber and you'll then need to apply Dulux precision primer

Since chalked and matt paints are not designed for hard-wearing surfaces like cabinet tops, it is advised you clear coat afterwards to protect the surface.

Please let me know if need further assistance or have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects