Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. feature wall

Alyce_Pham
Making a Splash

D.I.Y. feature wall

girls-bedroom-makeover.jpg

Siennah's DIY feature wall

I recently decided to redo Siennah’s bedroom and wanted to create a fun and colourful feature wall to match her vibrant and cheeky personality! As her room is quite small, I didn’t want to create a full wall feature as I felt it would feel too busy in her small space.

I decided a half-wall feature wall would be the best option to give her room a pop of much needed colour.

Here’s how I brought her feature wall together:

Step 1

Siennah’s room already had a light grey feature wall which I decided to keep as I felt it would work well with the wallpaper design I chose. I started off by giving her wall a clean with a mixture of Selly’s Sugar Soap and water.

Step 2

Once her walls were dry, I started to apply her half-wall wallpaper. I selected a design called ‘Flossy’ by Minnie & Me Interiors. The wall paper is a very simple peel and stick, removable style which made installation super easy! Each piece comes numbered so I started on the left hand side of the wall with piece #1. I used the included wallpaper installing tool which helped to remove any air bubbles.

Step 3

After the first piece was installed, I continued to install the rest of the pieces until the wall was complete. After the wallpaper was installed, I used a Stanley knife to cut off any excess at the bottom to give a clean and finished look.

Installing-wallpaper.jpg

Step 4

Now that the wallpaper was installed, I wanted to add something to the wall over the join between the wallpaper and the painted wall. I decided to go for timber Moulding as I felt it would create a polished look and would be a fun modern take on traditional wainscotting. I chose to use Porta 30 x 12mm moulding from Bunnings.

kids-feature-wall.jpg

Step 5

The timber molding is quite lightweight, so could have easily been installed with liquid nails or wood glue, however we decided to go with tiny nails for the installation this time. Installation was really quite easy and only required lining up the moulding in the required spot, before hammering in the small nails to hold it in position. We used a spirit level to double check the moulding was straight prior to hammering.

kids-room-feature-wall.jpg

And that’s it! Once the last of the molding was installed, her feature wall was complete.

I added some fun artwork and decor pieces to her wall that suited the overall colour scheme and theme of the room to tie it all in beautifully together.

The feature wall looks fantastic and was a quick and easy job completed over one weekend.

colourful-feature-wall.jpg

bedroom-makeover.jpg

girls-bedroom-inspiration.jpg

I hope you loved how quick and easy it was to create Siennah’s half-wall feature wall!

Feel from to drop any questions below.

Alyce Pham

@ourhomeinthegrange

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY feature wall

Hello @Alyce_Pham 

Thank you very much for sharing the photos and steps of your feature wall. The pattern is very nice and timber trim gives it a nice finish and divides the wall evenly without it being too harsh. Did you put a coating or sealer on the timbre, or did you leave it as is? Were you able to finish this in a single afternoon?

Again, thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Alyce_Pham,

I love your wallpaper and it looks like it was done by a professional! When you say it was numbered, is that so you can line it up? I like your choice of not painting the timber moulding, it really ties in the natural material accent pieces. 

I cannot wait to see what you come up with next. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @EricL 

Thank you, I appreciate it. At this stage I have left the timber as is but may give it a clear matte coat of varnish if I feel it needs it. I completed the wall over 2 afternoons as I had limited time, however it could easily be achieved in one afternoon if more time allowed. 

Thanks, Alyce

Hi @KatieC - thank you.

It is the fifth wall in my home that I have wallpapered so I feel I have become a bit of a pro now haha!

Yes, the wallpaper has numbers on the back of it so I know which pieces should be side by side to make sure the pattern matches up. And yes, I feel keeping the timber moulding raw really helped it tie in beautifully with the timber accents on the bed as wall as the other timber pieces I used around the room. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects