Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. kids bedroom storage

Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

D.I.Y. kids bedroom storage

DIY Kids Bedroom Storage Ideas

We have been working hard to get the kids rooms finished and have recently moved them in, and although they’re finished enough for them to move in they’re lacking a lot of personality as we need to decorate and build storage for them. We have been focussing a lot on the girls rooms and wanted to create something special for Connor. He loves his cars and trucks and I wanted to create a fun and engaging storage system for them, that can also hold a couple of books for bedtime reading.

We came up with a design and got to work.

Like most boys, Connor is loving his cars and trucks an we wanted to create somewhere that he can see them rather than digging the mout of a drawer.

IMG_1202.jpg

Our storage design is to hold 6 cars long x 4 levels with book holder on top.

Connor is loving his new toy storage and we are so delighted he has a new book shelf / night light and toy storage.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvnjSoAAQY9/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Happy DIYing 

Claire 

TT

IG 

Blog

Materials

Tools

🚗 jig saw

🚗 router and cutters / bits

🚗 18ga nailer

🚗 Multi tool

🚗 Sander & Sanding paper

Steps

Step 1

To create this we used some left over VJ panels, 

We cut the VJ panels down to strips.

Step 2

Routered out a slot in each of the vertical and horizontal shelves and slot them together

IMG_2130.jpg

Step 3

Nail the outer frame in place.

IMG_9BB1B15BF034-1.jpeg

Step 4

Using a sheet of VJ's router out the front face of the storage, creating a frame for the front of the toy storage.

IMG_0633.jpegIMG_CF69C90DBC31-1.jpeg

Step 5

Fill and Sand the gaps around the frame and the nail holes.

IMG_0703.jpeg

Step 6

We were initially going to cut out the face of the truck using ply however we found this beat-up old truck in the sand pit and decided to use it instead. I took it apart, cleaned it up and painted it and it worked a treat. 

IMG_4B2B06B9A211-1.jpegIMG_1169.jpeg

Step 7

We added a lighting strip to the back so the storage could double as a night light. 

IMG_1152.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: D.I.Y. kids bedroom storage

Another terrific project under your belt, @Renowayoflife! Congratulations.

I'm loving the blend of creativity and craftmanship you've displayed here. That storage system is a brilliant solution for displaying Connor's toys and books while being a real feature in his room. I'm sure Connor is thrilled with this system. And what a great way to repurpose leftover materials from another project too! 

Did you come up with this design by yourself or were inspired by another project? Maximising storage in kids bedrooms is a common issue that a lot of our members face, and I'm sure they'll find your solution inspiring. 

Congratulations once again and I look forward to seeing what you tackle next.

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good afternoon @Renowayoflife 

Now thats an interesting build, and I would say not just for kids rooms! :smile: I love how you have used material that you already had and it came up so professsional.

Imagine bigger squares for lego builds (I know a lot of adults/big kids that have kits) Really nice thinking outside the box :smile:

Dave

Thank you @Akanksha , it was such a fun project.

We did come up with the design ourselves and since we made it we have seen other variations of this type of storage around. I love that we were able to repurpose an old toy that was probably destined for the bin. I'm looking at the other toys we have in a different light now and it's far more sustainable than just always buying new.

Thank you @Dave-1 you're right, the sky is the limit and I'm sure you could build some great storage solutions with this approach. I definitely think cutting and creating one single sheet for the front helped create a consistent look.

connor is delighted.

Tinker_Bell
Having an Impact

Hi @Renowayoflife,

Super creative project! I love that you used recycled materials and added that bit of thoughtfulness with the truck to customize it for Connor. Doubling as a night light is the icing on top of this project. 

Katie

Thank you Katie,

I love how this turned out and it's a source of so much enjoyment (and fights 😂) in our house as the kids just love it!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects