Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY Office Desk Top

Kafunta
Finding My Feet

DIY Office Desk Top

Hey, I have been looking at creating my own office desktop and have been looking at some of the options available online. I came across the laminated pannels which I think would be perfect.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/2200-x-600-x-26mm-beech-laminated-panel_p8330041 

However, I am a bit confused as I have not worked with laminated wood before. Is it possible to cut them to desired size and can I glue two pieces together? 

If someone has done something like this before I would love to hear any advice you have!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: DIY Office Desk Top

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kafunta. We're really pleased to have you join us and look forward to seeing you complete your desk project as well as many other creations around the house and garden. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand.

If you search for the word "desk" here on Workshop you'll find lots of examples of desk projects that you might get inspiration from.

Let me also tag some of our helpful members who might like to kick off the discussion and share their thoughts about using laminated panels. @ProjectPete, @Tara86, @Super_D, @r23on, @Madmoggy, @JP_Finlay, @redracer01

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Kafunta,

It is certainly possible to cut the laminated panels to a desired length and I have done so several times. There is no reason why you could not glue two pieces together and it will be a similar process to any other timber. Although the panels are laminated their structural integrity allows for them to be cut down and manipulated in many different ways.

If you have further questions or need assistance, please let me know.

Mitchell

r23on
Amassing an Audience

The laminated is good stuff to work with. They do not distort as the grains work against each other. As for glueing a light sand and clean they glue up well. I have found the best glue is Tight Bond III around 15min and your can do some light work 

Cutting grab yourself a straight edge and go for it just make sure you support the off cut to stop any tearaway. If you do not have a straight edge make your own.

Here is a link on how to make your own straight edge. It will be the best tool in the workshop

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=make+a+saw+straight+edge&t=hk&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.y...

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@Kafunta  Hi yes they are perfect for this project.
Easy to cut and glue on additional boards to create the perfect size and shape. I built my daughter a desk using these panels and going to remake our L shape desk in the study using these as well. Just be careful when glueing with another board to check there is enough support underneath the join. Easily sorted with supports, brackets etc.  Good Luck!

Hey I appreciate everyone's comments. What I am a bit confused about is what a cross cut of the laminate will look like? Is there a different wood in the centre like a veneer or is it completely solid through. Thanks for answering all the novice questions 😂 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Kafunta,

The panel is made up of solid blocks of timber that are glued together. When you cut it, the end will look similar to what the ends look like now. The picture below gives a good indication of what it would look like after being cut.

We are more than happy to answer any questions you have!

Mitchell

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Kafunta 

Beech laminated panel! 1,001 uses. Below is a drawing of what you can possibly do using beech laminated panels. Taking over the world requires a good desk. The beech laminated panel from Bunnings is timber through and through not a laminate cover over fiber board. I can understand your worry and hesitation when using this timber. As explained by @MitchellMc when you cut the laminate timber, it is timber all the way. If done properly you can set up your command station with everything you could possibly need. As you can see, you have your computer with two screens. A big TV to keep up with current events (footy) and because all that hard work requires refreshment a glass door mini fridge to rejuvenate you with your preferred liquid when its critical (half time). I would have placed a microwave but I'm sure you would still want to see your family. Enjoy the drawing and don't let limits hold your imagination back!

Cheers!

Red

That filing cabinet? Beech laminated panel! Also can be snack cabinet!That filing cabinet? Beech laminated panel! Also can be snack cabinet!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects