Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY built-in bookcase

Cardaw
Growing in Experience

DIY built-in bookcase

We saw this on pintrest and decided to give it a go! Our downstairs rumpus room has been in need of some TLC for a very long time. We had bookcases that needed to be bolted to the wall to stop them falling over and no space to move. The room was (and probably still will be until we replace carpet and lights) a bit dingy so I painted the wood panel wall and started on the bookcase. 

We used 5 Montgomery 80 x 28 x 202 cm white 6 Tier Bookcases, which we assembled and bolted together. Once they were bolted to the wall we got to work framing them in. We popped in some supports and then attached the timber to that. Our house is not square so we literally moved a wall to make it flush! We finished it off with a quick sand a some paint. I'm pretty stoked with how it has turned out! I am trying to decide whether we fill in the holes for the shelves and paint the inside of the bookcase or leave it so there's the option to move shelves around. 

inbound8962765033256916925.jpg

inbound4023016707307789669.jpg

inbound1906364968829831168.jpg

inbound8664957336433460339.jpg

inbound580873732469900315.jpg

inbound3123866808889942269.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: DIY built in bookcase

Hi @Cardaw,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome to have you join and share your built-in bookcase with us. You'll find that Workshop is a great source of inspiration and advice on all things DIY and garden. Some of our projects make it into our Top Ideas D.I.Y. Projects  page and you might find yours in there one day!

Your built-in looks like it came with the house, it is very well-made. What steps did you take to create it? Any advice for someone looking to create a built-in bookshelf of their own? 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY built-in bookcase

Hi @Cardaw

Fantastic job on the DIY built-in bookcase! It's wonderful to see you take inspiration and bring it to life in your own home. What a great idea using the pre-built bookcases as I trust that saved a bunch of time custom making them. The attention to detail, like framing them in and adjusting for the non-square walls, showcases your commitment to achieving a polished look. 

You've really transformed the space, turning this room into a stylish and functional area. Love the carpets by the way!

Well done on a fantastic project!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects