Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY dining table

kel19
Having an Impact

DIY dining table

55B6DD85-575E-4D92-B233-4247428C1F52.jpeg

C2CB060A-CE11-42BC-BA0F-13EBB7DF5BC7.jpeg

For years I hated our black glass top dining table but couldn’t justify buying a new one, especially when what I wanted in the size I wanted was looking at $2000 plus. With an (incredibly) understanding husband I took over his car shed with his father in laws tools and decided I’d make my own. After many drawings and calculations I purchased a thick ply sheet and some dressed pine and got to work spending my afternoons after work getting little bits measured, cut, glued and screwed bit by bit. After 3 months and some changes of mind getting the stain right I finally had a table top I was happy with and decided to call in a favour and get the old table legs powder coated black before reinforcing the ply (to withstand everything the six year old could possibly do to it) before putting it all together (again I’ll throw in a whole lot of credit to my husband and his father for helping with all the heavy lifting and help). 

I’ve had a few DIY jobs under the belt but this was by far the most technical and challenging, but also the most worthwhile.  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Dining Table

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kel19. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing this inspiring project.

I'm really impressed with how that top came out. You said it was plywood? The grain is remarkable! It looks so high-end, and you've done an awe-inspiring job. A simply stunning piece.

Well done, and I'm excited to hear about your next project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

Re: DIY dining table

@kel19 

Outstanding job and it looks stunning, a one of too!!

You should be pretty proud of what you achieved!!

Cheers,

Barbara

Re: DIY Dining Table

Thanks @MitchellMc @it’s a plywood base with dressed pine on top which I then cut each piece and  glued and screwed before a final sand, fill, stain and seal. 

Thanks so much @Baretta11  it was a big process but I really wanted something that we could keep for a while (hopefully a long time but we’ll see how my diy craftsmanship holds up!). I’d made some timber and glass doors a lifetime a go with a metal vine running up it for my hsc which my parents had installed as their front door and hadn’t done anything “big” since. Definitely pretty proud of how ot turned out. 

WayneM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Wonderful work @kel19. Many thanks for sharing, and well done.

You've provided such detailed information that will be a great help to our community members.

We are interested in turning your project into a Featured Project article. Do you have any more pictures you could share, please?

It would also be great if you could share any other tips or lessons learned during your project that could assist others doing table or other furniture renovations.

Many thanks,

Wayne

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects