Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY wooden rocking horse

Alicia_Woodwork
Building a Reputation

DIY wooden rocking horse

I made this cute rocking horse for my nieces third birthday. I wanted to make something durable that would last years and be able to pass down to future generations. In the end, i was able to create a rocking-horse that was strong enough to hold most adults but also spark the imagination of my niece and nephew. 

Materials

Tools

Ryobi Drill

Ryobi Disc Sander

AEG Drop Saw 

Ryobi Cordless Belt Sander

Ryobi Jigsaw

Steps

Step 1

IMG_1130.jpeg

Use cardboard to cut out your own template to ensure all pieces work together and maintain the same scale.

Step 2

IMG_1133.jpeg

Select your timber. I used a mixture of dressed pine and plywood. Mark each piece using your template and cut with a jigsaw. 

Step 3

IMG_1146.jpeg

Start by joining the main pieces of the horse together. For this, I used indoor wood glue with 50mm 10G timber screws. I countersunk each screw and patched each hole with filler.

Step 4

IMG_1150.jpeg

Add the feet to your horse. Using level planks, ensure the horse sits even in the middle before attaching the rocking legs. This is very important in ensuring the horse does not too unevenly when someone gets on it. 

Step 5

IMG_1158.jpeg

Add some additional flooring as a base for the rider. Time to attach your seat! Make sure you reinforce the seat with additional supports.

Step 6

IMG_1160.jpeg

Patch any additional imperfections. Sand the full project until the wood has a smooth finish.

Step 7

IMG_1175.jpeg

Apply your paint. I chose British Paints wall paint as this always comes up nicely and has proven to be very durable! Once you’ve painted your horse, apply spray varnish to the bottom legs to preserve the wood look.

Step 8

IMG_1275.jpeg

Time to add the details! I used foam and leather to create my own comfy seat. I then hand painted the details on the horse using acrylic paints. 

Step 9

IMG_1292.jpeg

Once all the details are done, tape up the leather seat for protection and apply two coats of clear coat spray paint. This will add an extra layer of protection to keep it looking brand new for years to come! 

Step 10

IMG_1296.jpeg

She’s ready for use!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Wooden Rocking Horse

Wow, your rocking horse project is amazing @Alicia_Woodwork. The attention to detail and creativity are impressive. Your niece and nephew will love it for years to come. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects