Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Decluttering home workspace and desk makeover

alek
Getting Established

Decluttering home workspace and desk makeover

AffterAffter

My workspace at home was becoming extremely cluttered, I outgrew the space, the desk couldn't accommodate two screens and the drawers had very minimal space so I would dump everything on top of the desk so it was always mega cluttered which is why I set out to revamp the space.

I picked up an beautiful old oak desk and hutch on Facebook marketplace for FREE and whilst I didn't end up using the hutch, I was able use the wood make an keyboard tray for the desk as well as and my partner also made beautiful chopping boards 😃 

Project included: sanding the desk, priming before applying first coat of paint, installing track rails and the keyboard tray, new draw handles and a dual monitor holder arms as well as a cable duct so I could run cables behind the scenes neatly. 

Paint used was Rustoleum White Chalk paint, 2 coats 

Glitz Beeswax polish used at the end to really highlight timber. 

Total cost under $30. 

Here are some before and after pics of the workspace area. 

Previous workspacePrevious workspace    

Before shots of the desk 

Desk beforeDesk beforeDesk Before 2Desk Before 2

During: 

SandingSandingKeyboard TrayKeyboard Tray

After shot of desk

After shot of deskAfter shot of desk   Finished desk 2Finished desk 2

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Decluttering home workspace and desk makeover

Great work @alek and many thanks for sharing your first project with the Bunnings Workshop community. Looking forward to seeing many more in the future!

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @alek 

Looks great, well done, maybe that's what I need to de clutter my desk.

I wouldn't mind seeing photo's of the chopping boards, if possible.

Here is my before shot,  sadly no after shot yet

.IMG_4488.JPGIMG_4489.JPG

alek
Getting Established

Thanks mate, appreciate it. Smart move putting your keyboard and mouse in the drawer, I wish I thought of that back then but the drawer was always overloaded with random bits and pieces haha.

The dual monitor holders are a game changer, it’ll clear up so much space for you! Bunnings has them via marketplace, here’s a link -

https://www.bunnings.com.au/artiss-dual-monitor-arm-stand-2-hd-led-desk-mount-screen-tv-holder-gas-s...

I’ll try get you some pics of the chopping boards if she had any, leave it with me :smile: 

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Thank you @alek , I'll have a look at it, I might have to buy one and do the same.

RenoRach1
Making a Splash

WOW! 😍 Looks absolutely amazing, as well as being super functional. The keyboard tray is the extra bonus. I expect that the decluttering has had a positive impact on your work output. It really is a beautiful colour scheme/style (I have the same white and brushed gold in my office and accessories, so I'm a bit biased!) - it would suit any style of home. Sanding and painting is such a cost-effective way to change furniture, as well as rooms.

BTW - also loving your floorboards!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects