Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Desk/Table - cable grommet installation

LindaFromHR
Just Starting Out

Desk/Table - cable grommet installation

Hello hello,

I’ve built a large, simple desk using this acacia panel: https://www.bunnings.com.au/2200-x-600-x-26mm-acacia-solid-oiled-hardwood-project-panel_p8330032

I’m almost done but I need to create some way to manage cables - I’m not going to get a gorgeous hardwood panel like this and just let wires go all over the place. There are proper grommets that exist of course but I’d be happy enough with a half circle cut out at the back and hand-sanded down.

What I’m worried about with this is that I know these panels are mostly glued together with a generous sprinkling of luck. If I start taking chunks out I know I could ruin the panel. Is there any way of doing this without ruining something I slaved over for a whole thirty minutes?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Desk/Table - cable grommet installation

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @LindaFromHR. It's wonderful to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

You won't have any issue removing a section on the edge to run cables through. I've removed pieces of these panels before with no issues at all. Most recently, I cut a small hole to accommodate a water pipe. The glue is more than adequate to hold the pieces together, even if you remove a section. I would suggest using a hole saw or cutting the circular section out with a jigsaw.

Please let me know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects