Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dining table makeover

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

Dining table makeover

100_3309.JPG

I bought a redgum dining table to put into our new build. Was a bit rundown and whilst hubby wasn't pleased with my idea of pulling it apart to resand and varnish it, I did anyway as I didn't want to have to go around corners and not do every square inch of the table.

Used dozens and dozens of sanding pads and almost burned out the sander which is very old, hubby had to fix something inside but I got through it all.

I polyurethaned everything except for the table top where we decided to try liquid glass. Big learning curve with redgum which was that air bubbles kept coming up for hours and hours instead of only minutes like the instructions mentioned and even utube tutorials showed and even though we used a blow torch as recommended to pop the bubbles, they just kept coming so there are a few imperfections as a result of using the torch for too long.

I do intend to redo the top eventually but after two semi successful attempts and it costing $150 per attempt, we decided to live with it for a bit. What we will do next time is not sand back to bare timber and re expose the air pockets that I never knew redgum timber would have given it's a very dense wood anyway, I'll just buff the liquid glass away and redo the table and it should come out beautifully third time around!!

I think it came out lovely all the same and all products used were bought from Bunnings.100_3102.JPG100_3108.JPG100_3095.JPG100_3096.JPG100_3097.JPG100_3309.JPG

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Dining Table Makeover

Hi @Baretta11,

What a gorgeous table makeover you've done! Thank you for sharing what you learned throughout the process. Did you like using the liquid glass otherwise and its overall effect? Have you done it to other pieces? I think you are right, the third time would be the charm for the top, but it does look lovely already. 

This is such a great upcycle project, would you like me to enter it into Australia's Best D.I.Y. Projects 2022 competition?

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Katie,

Thanks for the kind words.

There are so many fabulous entries already so not fussed if I should enter but feel free to do so if you think I should. As for using the liquid glass, it wasn't hard to just mix two parts together but just the type of wood I had made it a bit difficult with all the air bubbles as I mentioned but I can solve that the third time around ha-ha

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Baretta11,

You've done such a fabulous job, of course it should be entered! Good luck with the third attempt, I sure you will be successful. 

Katie

Akanksha
Projects Editor
Projects Editor

Re: Dining table makeover

Hello @Baretta11

Just wanted to say I'm loving your perseverance and willingness to learn new things along your D.I.Y. journey. I'm sure the valuable lessons you learnt will come in handy for your next project. I also wanted to thank you for sharing these lessons with our community, so our members can learn and grow together.

It's a beautiful table, and a wonderful project. Good luck for the competition!

Akanksha

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects