Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do you need a bottom track for interior bifold doors?

fionajm
Getting Established

Do you need a bottom track for interior bifold doors?

To install an internal door between lounge and hallway, I've found Cowdry Barracuda Bifold Track System on the Bunnings website. It appears to be a top hanging track. The handy man who is doing the job talked about a bottom track. Do I need both top and bottom tracks? I'm worried a bottom track may be a trip hazard for someone in the household with mobility issues, and would like to avoid it if possible. Does the Cowdry Baracuda Track System pack contain everything I need for hanging a new bifold door, or do I also need to buy individual accessory parts ? I've found a pack with a whole selection of hinges, screws and rollers, and some individual rollers. I understand I need:

*Track (upper)

*Roller (to go in track)

*2x Hinges + screws x4

*Some part for the bottom that 'grounds' the door and allows it to 'pivot'

*a knob/door handle

Anything I've missed? 

Do I get them all separately?

Many thanks for your help to help my NDIS client.

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Do you need a bottom track for interior bifold doors?

hi @fionajm 

That item doesnt have a very good  build reputation   It also dosnt come with timber doors as far as I can tell. But try it if you wish sorry to put evil eye on the product.

No bottom track.

They usually have a top bracket  and a bottom pivit point that isnt an obstruction 

Please  consider  Hume  or Corinthian  bifold doors  as a special order comes  with hardware and door  panels  check your door opening sizes.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @fionajm 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about installing bifold doors.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. The Cowdry Barracuda track system does not come with doors and is only the track system. If you decide to go with this system just make sure you purchase a sealed box to make sure all the parts are inside. However, If you need to purchase the doors separately, I recommend purchasing a full set instead. A good example is the Hume Internal Bifold door. It can be custom-made to the size of your door frame and it comes with its own track system.

I suggest asking your handyperson to properly measure the opening of the door frame, then take this information to the store's special orders desk and ask them for a bifold door quote with a track system included. Once you receive the quote all you need to do is to confirm if you want the order to go ahead.

I've placed a link below on how the Hume bifold door is installed. You'll notice that there is no need for a bottom track as the doors are quite stiff and can easily operate on one track.

Here is a guide to the Hume bifold doors installation:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for this advice. It's possible that the previous door will be used with new hardware, but good to know all the options.... and possible downfalls too!

Your advice re the Hume or Corinthian doors coming with hardware required is great. We must have missed that fact and had thought we had to source everything separately. Thanks for your help.

fionajm
Getting Established

Thanks Eric. I realised the Baracuda didn't cone with doors, but wasn't sure whether there was more in it than the track, so it's good to know that. Perhaps I missed some fine print in the catalogue.  It's also great to know that a bottom track isn't required.

Thanks for your advice on the process of ordering Hume doors, and the video.

I really appreciate the opportunity to ask the questions and get advice in an area I know nothing about. Thanks for taking the time. 

Hi @fionajm 

If you should be able to repackage all the Baracuda components as per there included component list and get a refund at the store you purchased it from especially bunnings.  Put this money towards new door.

The  Baracuda hardware wont mix with The hume or Corinthian doors and  hardware

Thanks so much, Jewelleryrescue. I haven't bought the Baracuda system yet. Just let my fingers do the walking to organise stuff in my head so I know what we're thinking about. Great advice re the systems not being compatible, thank you. The previous door, up for years without painting, never worked properly. Maybe it was a mix and not-match hardware issue from the start! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects