Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does this sort of concrete block contain Asbestos?

mike1360
Building a Reputation

Does this sort of concrete block contain Asbestos?

As you can see in the photos, the surface of the concrete is flaking. Does it contain asbestos? should I get it testst?

IMG_6759.JPG

IMG_6760.JPG

IMG_6761.JPG

IMG_6765.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Does this sort of concrete block contain Asbestos?

Hi @mike1360,

If you are ever concerned about something you suspect could be asbestos, your best bet is to have it tested. It's almost impossible to determine if something contains asbestos through images. Plenty of companies will test this material for you and not at a significant cost if you send it to them.

Since this growth is proud of the wall, I believe there is a good chance this is an interesting efflorescence or a fungal growth. Both are possibilities on a block wall that's suffered some water damage. If the material is brittle, then it's likely efflorescence and if it's soft, fungal.

If you had broken the blocks up and found this fibrous material on the inside, that's cause for concern. Even though this could be something entirely different, I'd still urge you to stay on the side of caution and have it tested, at least for peace of mind. 

You might like to check out this Best Advice article on Where might you find asbestos in your home.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mike1360
Building a Reputation

Re: Does this sort of concrete block contain Asbestos?

Thank you so much for explaining this to me🙏. I haven't broken the blocks, the material is on the surface of the wall and it's quite soft.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects