Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Door hinges wont take weight of door

patriciagarland
Just Starting Out

Door hinges wont take weight of door

Please tell me if I have to replace the door frame for the hidges to hold a very heavy door

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Door hinges wont take weight of door

Hi @patriciagarland,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Workshop community! It is great you have decided to join us and ask about your door replacement. Our resident DIY guru @EricL will be online later this afternoon who will no doubt be able to give you some great advice. Are you able to share a photo of the existing hinges? This may help Eric with the best solution. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: door hinges wont take weight of door

Hello @patriciagarland

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about your door hinges.

Some of the common reasons that hinges fail are that it has been mounted in the same hinge holes and there is not enough grip in the timber to hold them in place. The hinges are too small and the weight of the door has deformed the shape of the hinges. The hinge screws used are too short and are pulling out of the door and frame.

Would it be possible for you to post a few pictures of the hinges attached to the door and a picture of the door frame? This will give our members a chance to assess the condition of the door. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

If you need assistance in posting the photos, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects