Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Easier way of laying underlay?

Wouldy
Making a Splash

Easier way of laying underlay?

IMG_20211217_114702.jpg

As you can see beside the carpet there lays some underlay. The carpet is not being laid. 

I'd like a few options to secure the underlay to the lino floor. Nothing complicated and expensive. Obviously a do it yourself job  The underlay will be removed at a later stage. Any workable solutions are much appreciated. Get creative.

Wouldy

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Easier way of laying underlay?

Hi @Wouldy,

Can you please clarify what you are planning to do? Do you want to put underlay and carpet on top of the existing lino floor? Is removing the lino an option?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Wouldy

In order to install carpet, you'll need to put in Roberts Smoothedge Timber Carpet Edge also known as carpet gripper. Without the carpet gripper, you will not be able to achieve the flawless flat look that most carpets have. One way to prevent underlay from moving is to use large double-sided tape. This will temporarily keep the foam underlay from moving while you spread the carpet. However, the adhesive will eventually fail and the underlay will come loose. 

Your other option is to use a Heavy Duty Staple Gun. On the condition that you have timber flooring. It'll be necessary to staple all the sides of the carpet so it does not curl or twist. You can cover the staples with a timber bead. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to lay carpet

Let me tag @JoeAzza and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

@Jason @EricL 

First up. I'm not well off. I don't even live comfortably. I've been spending a lot of money at Bunnings lately.  I don't have for a house that is not even my own. Thanks for the suggestion Eric. 

My plan. I have underlay. I'm measuring widths and lengths. I'm buying rugs as I can take them with me. I am putting underlay under the rugs. 

All floors are lino. 

Jason, it is not an option to remove lino. I do not want to create more work and having to spend more money. 

My solution so far is double sided tape to secure underlay to lino flooring. 

The best I could come up with. 

Thanks 

Wouldy. 

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Wouldy 

If it's a temporary fix , try this double sided tape, it's used for carpets., just tape around the edges, in short strips.

JoeAzza_0-1640127431071.png

@JoeAzza that is super helpful. Thank you. I will get some today. Yes, it is temporary. Many thanks. 

Wouldy

@JoeAzza @EricL 

I went and bought two rolls today. I am assuming this works on underlay on lino floor as well? 

Also, is @MitchellMc on holidays? Have not see him around. 

Wouldy

Wouldy

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Wouldy

Yes, @MitchellMc is currently on leave and will be back after the holidays. The double-sided tape should be sufficient enough to work on the lino. I suggest giving it a test first to make sure that you get a good grip.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

@EricL 

Cheers. I will post if I need further help!

Wouldy

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects