Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Feature nib wall / bedhead

EleventhCoastal
Making a Splash

Feature nib wall / bedhead

Have you ever thought about something for so long that you just gave it a go! That’s what happened with this nib wall/ bed head that I created in our master bedroom.

I’ve created a reel of the process as well as a highlight which gives step by step instructions on how you can create this feature wall as  well.

if you wanted to check it out head to https://www.instagram.com/EleventhCoastal/

D4A80023-886A-42CE-8AAC-43862F36A291.jpeg

Kirsty P
StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Feature Nib Wall / Bedhead

Looks incredible @EleventhCoastal. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

If you don't mind sharing a bit more here, we'd love to hear about the materials used and steps taken to achieve this look. Do you have any advice for those looking to tackle a similar project?

Look forward to seeing more of your amazing projects on Workshop.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Stevie,

I’d definitely love to share more, the first thing I did was measure the space several times, both the width and the height I wanted the wall making sure I allowed enough space between  the ledge and window.

I went to Bunnings and purchased the following:

3 Easy Craft VJ panels 1200 x 

5 lengths of structural pine 70 x 35 x 6 mtrs

2 tubs liquid nails

1 Spotted Gum decking plank

Screws

1 x Designer hardwood in Birch 1200 x 240 x 32

The process was as follows:

1. Build a frame with studs and noggins, I did mine 450 apart

2. Secure these to the walls studs to make sure that everything is secure

3. I pre-drilled the spotted gum ledge with brackets and attached to the studs

4. Measure and pre cut any power point holes, the skirting board space and any other obstacles prior to securing the vj panel to the wall. Make sure you liquid nails on the studs and then secure with a few screws to allow the liquid nails to set overnight - a trick to make sure the panels are flush at the top is place wedges at the bottom of each panel as this can be covered with skirting board or silicone later

5. Silicone all the edges, putty the holes where you screwed into the studs and let that both dry

6. Paint your desired colour

7. Style till your hearts content

Oh and another big tip is mark out where all the studs are, the space where your bed is, the middle of the room etc so when you need to screw the panels your not flying blind!!

E94B7659-7DCA-4493-8D20-32198DE09831.jpeg

D131BC52-89F2-4C95-A9D3-1B64D5BD71C5.jpeg

2DE677FA-F09A-4750-8CA0-63C5B18BA00D.jpeg

Kirsty P

Thanks so much @EleventhCoastal. Since this is such a popular style, your steps will be so helpful for others wanting to give this a go.

Really appreciate the time taken to share these details.

Stevie

ali5
Finding My Feet

Re: Feature nib wall / bedhead

@EleventhCoastal 

Hi there, great job.

Just wondering what the height measurement is? Thinking of giving this a go and wasn’t sure if there is an ideal height (distance from top of mattress)

thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @ali5. I'm sure @EleventhCoastal will get back to you as soon as possible. Great to see you have been inspired by the Bunnings Workshop community and are willing to give it a go! We are certainly here ready to help and support with anything you need. And it would be fantastic if you share the end results.

Welcome to the community, we're thrilled to have you join us.

Jason

Good morning Ali5, 

Apologies for the delay in responding, when I was working out the height for our nib wall I did it probably a little unconventionally, I sat on my mattress leant against the wall and measured the top of my head height.

Ours ended up being 1114cms from the ground with a 40cm gap to the window.  I wanted to make sure when I was sitting on the bed I was able to fully rest up against the nib wall (We have a pillow top mattress)

I hope that helps a little

Kirsty P
parbuckle
Just Starting Out

Hi Kirsty!

How did you fix the shelves to the wall? 😊

Thanks for joining in the discussion on Bunnings Workshop @parbuckle. It's great to have you join the community.

Let me tag @EleventhCoastal so she is alerted to your question of how the shelves were fixed to the wall. 

If you are struggling with your own project, please don't hesitate to hit the Ask a question button and our community members will be happy to assist. 

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ali5 

Looking closely, it appears that there is a type of fixing that was used to hold the shelves in place. You can just barely see it peeking out the bottom of the shelf. It might be an angle bracket of sorts or a D.I.Y. timber support. We'll wait for confirmation from @EleventhCoastal.

If you are planning on building something similar, please make sure to post an update. I'm sure our members would be keen to see your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects