Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fireplace upgrade

KiranNagaraj
Growing in Experience

Fireplace upgrade

Renovated the fireplace from an old boring metal frame to a more traditional design. Extremely happy with the outcome.

IMG_20220707_141625.jpg

IMG_20201008_182748.jpg

IMG_20201011_170641.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Fireplace upgrade

Hello @KiranNagaraj

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! We're thrilled to have you here, and even more thrilled to see you've already shared a couple of your creative D.I.Y. projects. Great work. I also encourage you to check out other projects shared by our wonderful members and engage with them for more inspiring ideas and handy tips. 

I'm loving this fireplace upgrade- the transformation adds a classy, nostalgic feel to your fireplace. Was changing the frame easy to do? We would appreciate if you could let us know a little more detail about your process. 

Thanks, and welcome once again. 

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Akanksha,

Thanks for the wonderful feedback. 

I didn't replace the metal frame. Instead I stuck pieces of wood cut into small pieces to give the look of bricks. The mantle shelf was made out of multiple compressed wood sheets and fitted onto the corbels. The corbels were purchased in a wood shop and fit onto the wall. 

Finally I polished all the wood with the wood polish to give a darker shade to the whole thing. Took us(my wife and self) to figure out the best design with the limitations we had in terms of tools and the weight constraints.

Regards,

Kiran. 

Hi Kiran (@KiranNagaraj), 

That's wonderful, thank you for providing those details. Loving the ingenious method you adopted to replicate the look of bricks. Great work. 

Looking forward to seeing more of your creative D.I.Y. projects.

Thanks 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects