Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Guest room oasis with feature wall

Coffeebeanlilly
Finding My Feet

Guest room oasis with feature wall

As first-time homeowners, we couldn’t wait to get started on renovating our little 90’s fixer-upper.

Despite the house being well built and in great shape, every room inside was terribly outdated - with most things never replaced in over 25 years!

The guest room was a good start to our DIY adventure, as we felt like we could be a little more adventurous with our design choices.

The result is:

- brand new carpet

- a feature wallpaper wall (Mokum wallpaper “La Palma” - luckily as a German growing up with wallpaper in houses a standard thing, I knew how to DIY wallpaper)

- thanks to the brilliant Taubmans Coloursmith app we “grabbed” a colour from the wallpaper and got semi-sheen paint mixed (my husband was so scared to put the beautiful dark teal on the wall!)

- new architraves and skirting thanks to Bunnings DIY tutorials

- new cornices (working with plaster is so dirty)

- new light fixture (not DIY of course)

- new curtains and blinds - installation was easy thanks to my new favourite tool: a laser level!

After and Before:

263FA782-1198-4751-A156-5A30223215A0.jpeg

A5ADFE2D-7545-4497-BCEA-B07283C9F605.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to create a guest room oasis

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Coffeebeanlilly. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing this brilliant project.

You've indeed turned this un-inspiring room into a little oasis. I love the wallpaper and how you've used colour from it on the adjacent wall. It's a lovely touch that's very pleasing to the eye. The sheer curtains really add to the overall appeal of the room.

Congratulations on a wonderful make-over. I trust you are delighted with the results.

Great work, and I look forward to seeing what you do in the rest of your home.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects