Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hair and makeup nook

Romarlie
Growing in Experience

Hair and makeup nook

I have a small ensuite so I decided to create a nook in my bedroom corner whereby I could do my hair and makeup while seated and I chose a three way oval illuminated mirror which I purchased online and I made the shelves from timber I purchased from Bunnings, I also have a small drawer for storage and a makeup tray which was from a previous purchase of a makeup gift pack. I used small brackets to attach shelves along with nylon wall mates. Tissue box purchased online. Magnified mirror x '5' stick on optional choice.

Materials

• White pine Moulding 66 x 11 mm pre primed.
  • White 55 mm angle brackets x 6
  • White 25mm angle brackets x 4
  • Nylon wall mates  x 19
  • Two cans of Rust-oleum 2X Ultra Cover Paint Primer
  • Colour Satin "Blossom White"
  • Gap Filler White
  • Small bullet head nails and nail punch
  • Power point was required for mirror it can be hard wired in for  mirror or left as a plug in.

Tools

• Cordless drill
  • hand saw
  • Phillips head screwdriver
  • hammer
  • pencil

Steps

Step 1

I measured the area available to accommodate the mirror and drawer. Worked out the height for location of drawer whilst being seated to get the right height. Worked out the number of shelves that I needed for cosmetics and hair needs.

Step 2

Purchased timber  and cut to various sizes and  assembled the shelves and gave two coats of white spray.

Step 3

Attached shelves to the wall with wall brackets and wall mates using a small spirit level across each shelf before fixing.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Hair and makeup nook

Hi @Romarlie,

First, I'd like to welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have joined and thank you for sharing your lovely hair and makeup nook with us. I grew up with a makeup table and really miss having one, your project has inspired me to find a nook in my own home for one. You have really thought through where each item goes which helps with long-term organisation. 

You'll find many great member projects in our Top Ideas section like 8 ways to use wasted spaces in your home, you may even find your project in there one day. We hope that you find Bunnings Workshop to be an excellent source of valuable advice and inspiration.

For members looking to make their own hair and makeup table and want to hardwire an illuminating mirror, you will need to hire a professional electrician for this step. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Romarlie
Growing in Experience

Hi Katie

Thanks for your kind words about my little nook I am glad you were able to find it helpful. I do think that all ensuites should have a sit down area for doing hair and make up and it is really relaxing if you have arthritis like I do . There are different ways to make it work depending on space and not expensive to fit out and it takes up very little room. I have other DIY's I have done so I will post those too thanks again for your comments .

Kind Regards 

Roslyn

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Romarlie,

I am so glad your nook is helpful for your arthritis as well. I look forward to seeing your other projects!

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects