Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hanging upholstered bedhead

annatr
Growing in Experience

Hanging upholstered bedhead

StevieB_0-1633585633012.jpeg

Hi there,

I'm about to embark on a bit of a COVID sanity project for our bedroom. 

We've got a nice upholstered king bed base, but I'm having trouble finding a bedhead to suit because of the positioning of the windows and the power points in the room, so I'm going to attempt to make a bedhead that will hang on the wall (above the pesky power points and between the windows).

I'm planning to purchase 5x sheets of plywood (maybe something like this https://www.bunnings.com.au/1200-x-596-x-7mm-bc-radiata-plywood_p0390154) and then cover with foam, batting and then fabric (using a stable gun). 

I'm left with the question of whether I should....

1. join the 5x fabric covered panels with some kind of joining bracket (I would appreciate suggestions on what kind of bracket would do the job) and hang on the wall with some kind of heavy duty hook and anchor device (maybe something like this https://www.bunnings.com.au/everhang-20kg-heavy-duty-solid-wall-picture-hanging-hooks-12-pack_p00987..., or

2. whether I should go with a lighter weight option and hang each of the 5 fabric coated panels separately with picture hooks (maybe like this https://www.bunnings.com.au/everhang-10kg-brass-plated-picture-hanging-angle-drive-hooks-3-pack_p393...) but I recognise that 

it will likely be harder to get the height matched perfectly across all 5 panels.

As you can probably gather I have no idea of the products I should be selecting and would welcome advice from those who have more DIY know how than I :smile:

Thanks very much in advance,

Anna

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Advice on DIY upholstered hanging bedhead

Hello @annatr

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about your DIY upholstered hanging bedhead.

I suggest joining the panels together using the Carinya 57 x 17 x 2mm Zinc Mending Plate - 8pk. You can then assemble them all at the same level. I recommend using 42 x 19mm x 1.8m Premium Grade Dressed Pine cut with a french cleat. This will allow you to screw the timber into the stud wall. Because you are using a french cleat, it will be very secure as the whole structure is supported.

I've attached a picture of a french cleat, it is basically two pieces of timber with 45-degree cuts on the length of the timber. They sit or hook to one another preventing the item you're hanging from slipping in any manner. It sounds like a fantastic project, any updates you can provide while building it would be much appreciated. 

Let me tag our experienced members @woodalwaysworks and @LePallet for their recommendations.

Below is an excellent drawing of a french cleat courtesy of @DIY_Dad

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
annatr
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply @EricL.  The mending plate looks like exactly what I need to secure the panels together.

I've got a couple of question about your suggestion of the 19mm dressed pine cut with a french cleat.....

I was hoping that my bed head would hang quite close to the wall. Are there any flatter options which would allow my bed head to sit flatter against the wall?

If not, given that the pine is19mm thick, I think that would mean there will end up being a 19mm between the bedhead and the wall above and below the timber....  Would I need to put 19mm spacers on the 4 corners of the combined panels to make sure it sits flat (the width of the final combined panels will be just under 3000 with a height of 1200)?

Or do I need to make sure I place the french cleat in the exact middle (at the 600mm height level of the bed head) in order to make sure it's really stable?

Also, is a french cleat something I can get cut in store? ( I don't have fancy wood cutting tools at home and don't like my chances of doing a neat job with my little hacksaw!)

Thanks again for your time.

Anna

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @annatr 

There is an alternative to the french cleat if you don't have a circular saw or suitable tool. I suggest using TruChoice 133 x 13mm Cover 114mm White Primed FJ Pine Shiplap Lining Board - 5400mm. I recommend cutting it in half lengthwise. You will then have a routered end to act like a timber cleat. I've drawn up a possible layout of your boards with the Shiplap attached.

You can attach the Shiplap at the very top or just slightly below the top of your bedhead. The other half that has been cut will be placed onto the wall with its routered end facing in. This will allow you to hang the bedhead with complete confidence and security. Please have a look at the drawings and tell me what you think. You may purchase another piece for the bottom end or similar sized timber at 13mm.

annatr bed head1.jpgannatr bed head2.jpgannatr bed head3.jpgannatr bed head4.jpgannatr bed head5.jpgannatr bed head6.jpg

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

If you want your headboard to sit really close to the wall, I had great luck using these flush mount hangers on some upholstered bench seat backs that I hung recently. I attached them to the bare wood of my seat backs, and there is only a gap of a couple of mm, if that.

I used four sets of them along a 2.4m length, and it is super sturdy. I've tried to pull it off the wall, and put all my and my husbands combined weight pushing down, and they don't budge an inch. Highly recommend them.

2021-08-25 00.26.51.jpg 2021-08-25 00.26.37.jpg

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experience @RosieLynch. I'm sure @annatr really appreciates it. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It sounds like you have plenty of knowledge and experience to share with other members. I trust you will also receive plenty of inspiration, information and advice in return from our clever and creative community.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the Workshop site. We're here to help.

Jason 

annatr
Growing in Experience

Thanks very much for sharing this idea @RosieLynch 

I've had a quick look at the link, and I understand that the mount hangers attached to the back of your seat back. Could you clarify what you've got on the wall that they slot into?  Is it just a series of screws inserted through the plaster and into the wall studs behind? And then you slide down the seat back so that the mounts slot over the wall screws? Or do you have something else fixed to the wall?

Warm regards, 

Anna

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @annatr

The Everhang 11kg Flush Mount Picture Hanger actually hook on to one another. One piece is attached to your headboard pointing down, and another is screwed onto the wall facing up. When joined together, they hook on to one another forming a secure hold. It operates using the same principle as a french cleat. This is a much better alternative as it will be very close to the wall. I suggest using at least 2 sets per panel. 

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your new bedhead. 

Eric

annatr
Growing in Experience

Super - thanks so much @EricL  & @RosieLynch - I've got a plan for the project :smile:

Given the thickness of screws for the flush mount I think I'll go for 12mm plywood rather than the 7mm.

I'll get onto ordering my hardware & fabric and then get started on putting all this together....

Thanks again & warm regards, 

Anna

annatr
Growing in Experience

Thanks @EricL @Jason @RosieLynch for your helpful advice.  After a couple of product related delays- here's the finished bed head.....

9mm plywood, medium density foam (glued to the plywood) with layer of batting, then calico and then my velvet fabric.  Tons of staples for the batting, calico and then velvet, and those wonderful Everhang flush mounts for each of the 5 panels (I ended up using the Wallmate plasterboard anchors to fix them).

I've learnt heaps in the process (there's a few patched holes in that wall) but I'm really happy with the end product.

Thanks again & warm regards,
Anna
IMG_2845.jpegIMG_2848.jpegIMG_2849.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects