Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Has anyone got step by step instructions for VJ bedhead/shelf ?

jfo888
Growing in Experience

Has anyone got step by step instructions for VJ bedhead/shelf ?

jfo888_0-1623387303271.png

Has anyone got step by step instructions for VJ bedhead/shelf ?like this!!like this!!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Has anyone got step by step instructions for VJ bedhead/shelf ?

Hi @jfo888,

Are you looking to make a panelled bedhead or add panelling to the wall behind the bed as per your inspiration picture? Do you have a bedhead at the moment? The reason I ask is that since the bedhead supports the frame, it would be far easier to clad an existing bedhead with the panels than try to create a whole new one. 

If you'd like to upload an image of your current bedhead, I'm sure our creative members will have some suggestions on how you could achieve the look you're going for.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jfo888
Growing in Experience

Hi thanks I’m looking to build a shelf/nib wall which will act as a bedhead. The current bed has a padded bedhead but i will be replacing with a bed without a bedhead. I want to clad the new build with vj panel and top with a timber shelf.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jfo888,

I haven't come across any step-by-step instructions for a project like this, but I'd imagine it would be reasonably easy to build. 

I'd suggest starting by constructing a basic frame of 90 x 35mm MGP10 Untreated Pine Timber Framing. This frame can be attached to your walls stud work with angle brackets. Once the frame is mounted to the wall, you can cut lining boards to suit the front and sides. These can be glued to the frame with Liquid nails and tacked in place with nails. All that's left to do is glue your shelf in position with Liquid nails and fix it to the top of the frame with screws. Wood filler can be used to hide any gaps before painting.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need further instruction.

Mitchell

jfo888
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell

Thats awesome thankyou!!! Thanks Im going to give it a crack 👍

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

We'll be looking forward to seeing your results @jfo888. Remember to take plenty of pictures as you complete your project. I trust our other members considering building something like this would really appreciate following along.

Keep us updated.

Mitchell

jfo888
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell, will do. About to order VJ so I can get onto it during this lockdown. Stay tuned!

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

How is your project going @jfo888?

@EleventhCoastal just posted this incredible Feature Nib Wall / Bedhead that I thought could offer more inspiration for this project.

Let us know if you need a hand.

Stevie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects