Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I fix my laminate flooring?

marijabijelic
Just Starting Out

How can I fix my laminate flooring?

Hey everyone! I’d love some help. My laminate floors are getting lots of wear and tear. Is there anything I can do to prevent further damage/seal the floor? water is penetrating. 

Thanks in advance for any advice and help! 

CFDB3C4C-FB22-4AE3-BA5B-FE6B1D0DC645.jpeg

94201D56-CDD1-4264-A2C3-79537AAF85D5.jpeg

34EB79E0-D953-4345-BF44-EA493DFA3C62.jpeg

   

5991A7B8-721A-44F7-B1FF-2C7173989FEA.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I fix my laminate flooring?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @marijabijelic. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing laminate flooring.

It appears that your floor is heavily worn and in a location that receives high traffic levels as the wear and tear is extensive. If this is a smaller area, I recommend replacing the flooring with new laminate flooring or a harder-wearing surface. Even then, I suggest you use rugs in these high-wear areas to prevent further damage. Area rugs and hall runners are an excellent way to avoid damage to your flooring.

How old is the flooring? Is it only worn to this extent due to being there for many years? Laminate flooring has a thin layer of timber over a second base layer. The top layer has been completely worn through, exposing the underlying material. You could give the whole area a delicate sanding to remove the current coating and re-coat it with Cabot's CFP Floor. You'd have to be very careful not to cut through the top layer of timber. In the areas where the top layer has already been worn through, you'd need to stain the underlying timber to match the laminate timber on top.

You might be able to get away without sanding if you use Cabot's CFP water-based. However, I'd recommend you do a test section with the product to ensure it bonds sufficiently to the current coating. You can apply the product in an inconspicuous section and wait for it to dry. Press sticky tape on the area and then pull it straight off. If the tape doesn't pull the coating off, then you should be fine coating the whole area. Re-coating without sanding or staining won't do anything to rectify the damage or much for the colour difference. It will provide some level of protection to the area, though it's not going to stop the level of wear currently seen on the floor.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects