Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I find out about getting a slab of oak wood from bunnings to make a top lid for this?

Wouldy
Making a Splash

How do I find out about getting a slab of oak wood from bunnings to make a top lid for this?

singer top lid.jpeg

Hi folks. 

Photo is of same thing I am fixing but not actual photo. 

I am making a top lid for this treadle singer sewing machine. Not the piece the machine sits on, the piece next to it. It is completely missing. I need a slab of oak and I am just wondering how I find out the cost from bunnings? I have usually just used wood I already have or got it from somewhere else. So, yeah want to buy it from bunnings. This is the first time I have done a project like this. I already have the brass hinges to go with it. Just need the wood to get it started. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I find out about getting a slab of oak wood from bunnings to make a top lid for this?

Hi @Wouldy,

What size slab of oak do you need? We sell dressed Tasmanian Oak boards, and 135mm is likely the widest you'd get in a hardwood. You might have to join boards to get the width you are after or consider applying an Oak coloured stain to a wider Pine board. Alternatively, we have laminated hardwood panels in much larger widths. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How do I find out about getting a slab of oak wood from bunnings to make a top lid for this?

I think it may be best to go with something like this @MitchellMc 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/1200-x-600-x-18mm-finger-jointed-oak-panel_p8330203 

I cannot do the measurements for the top piece I need to make because I do not have it in my possession yet. I would then stain and varnish it myself. Would this work for this project?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I believe that would work well @Wouldy.

You might need to stain that light coloured Oak to something similar to the original timber. I test section using Feast Watson 50ml Oak Prooftint Interior Stain would be my advice.

Mitchell

It shows the wood in four different sizes. Does that mean I can get it in those sizes? I would roughly need 510 x 380 x 19mm

https://www.bunnings.com.au/1200-x-600-x-18mm-finger-jointed-oak-panel_p8330203 

I see the stain you have mentioned but just not sure if that would be dark enough. The wood for this sewing machine is really quite dark. I think I may need to go even darker than the product you suggested. Maybe? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Wouldy,

The finger-jointed Oak panels come in 1800 x 405 x 18mm1200 x 600 x 18mm1200 x 405 x 18mm and 1200 x 300 x 18mm. A test section is always a good idea with stains, as it is tough to know what the result will look like, especially when trying to match an existing colour.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc 

As far as I am aware Bunnings does cut wood in store don't they? I may be wrong.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Wouldy,

You can find out more about our timber cutting service in the guide: Does Bunnings cut wood to size?. We cut MelaminePlywood and MDF. These Oak panels are finger-jointed timber products, and cannot be cut on our saws. You might like to contact your nearest store for additional details.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects