Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fix leaking sealing strip on old window?

Just Starting Out

How do I fix leaking sealing strip on old window?

3B0008BF-1A8D-4EA1-BA2D-C14885A9BA11.jpeg

Hi Bunnings Workshop Community,

Recently I found the external sealing on the windows of the bedrooms are slightly damaged so I removed them all and applied the Selleys glass silicone sealant from outside. But I still found some leakages around the corners from inside, probably external sealant wasn’t applied properly completely.

I tested using tissue and spotted the leakage is at the corner from inside and the sealing strip is slightly damaged, please refer to the photos.

These windows are very old, I’m not able to find the replacement strips, could anyone help me with the best solution to fix this? (Whether any specific places I can find similar strips or remove current strips and refill with glass/window sealant, etc)

Appreciated,

Alex

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I fix leaking sealing strip on old window?

Hello @316153775 (Alex)

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your window seal.

If by chance you still have a bit of the old sealer, I suggest visiting your local store and see if any of the seals match the profile of your old sealer. In the meantime, I suggest trying to track down the water ingress from the outside and see how water making is making its way through.  

If you find the point of entry, please let me know if you think applying silicone to that area will be enough to stop the water.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects