Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I paint a leather couch?

sbenn
Just Starting Out

How do I paint a leather couch?

I want to pick up this couch however I also want to clean it and paint it? Help on how to do this? I want to keep it a brown rustic colour so it would be going over it again in the colour it would have been without all the dark marks.

Im a newbie to all of this so any advice would be appreciated :smile: 

MicrosoftTeams-image (20).pngMicrosoftTeams-image (21).png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I paint a leather couch?

Hello @sbenn 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting a leather couch.

The steps to painting your leather chair is composed of three general steps. They are cleaning, painting and sealing. The most important step is the cleaning, failure to remove all the wax and oil deposits on the leather chair will cause the paint to bind poorly, crack and peel off. 

However, the cleaning product you use will matter significantly as using the incorrect cleaner can damage the leather finish. The safest method is to use a mild detergent with warm water and a microfibre cloth. Just keep in mind not to leave puddles or wet spots on the leather surface. As soon as you wash and rinse a section, dry it off immediately with a dry microfibre cloth.

The specific paint to use for leather furniture is called a leather acrylic paint. You'll need to source this from specialty stores or dedicated furniture repair shops. The difference between household acrylic paint is that leather acrylic paint is specifically made for leather, making it more flexible and can be applied directly to leather without being diluted. 

The final step is to use a leather finisher, this will protect the paint from minor scratches and everyday use. Keep in mind to give the leather paint enough time to dry off before applying the finisher.

Please remember to open all your doors and windows to promote good air circulation, and make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves goggles and a paint mask when painting your leather chair.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects