Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I paint my side table?

yumnaqazi
Growing in Experience

How do I paint my side table?

20210715_120335.jpg

Hello, 

I'm planning to upcycle my side table and I'm just wondering if I can use this Black spray paint + primer

And do I need to sand this ? If I do is it ok if i use a sand paper? And is there anything I'm missing. 

Thanks! 

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How do I paint my side table?

Thanks for sharing your project with us @yumnaqazi. Will this be your first upcycling project?

You may like to start by taking a look at these step-by-step guides:

As @EricL says in this discussion, paint has issues binding to glossy or varnished surfaces and that's why sanding is usually recommended. Do you know if this piece is made of solid wood or timber veneer? Eric will be happy to help further when he's back on the site tomorrow.

Let me also tag a few upcycling enthusiasts @Nham, @craftyhopper, @DanaR and @rubytuesday1953 who may be able to offer tips and help with your sanding and painting questions.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
craftyhopper
Making a Splash

@yumnaqazi 

a light sand is all you’ll need. And yes, the spray paint will be fine. 
Just make sure you do it outside and use plenty of floor covering. 
Also, when you do start spraying, spray onto something else first and then do short sharp sprays back and forth, not too close. You don’t want the spray to build up and drip 😀

Thankyou so much for your help! 

yumnaqazi
Growing in Experience

Thankyou! 

yumnaqazi
Growing in Experience

Yes  its my first upcycling project so I'm being extra cautious and super nervous. 

@yumnaqazi I so know that nervous feeling! Taking that first step is huge. The way I look at it is 'practice and tomorrow I'll be better than today'. Use evry experience as a learning opportunity and remember if you make a mistake or change your mind about the colour/style, a quick sand and fresh paint will fix it! You got this!

yumnaqazi
Growing in Experience

Thankyou so much for the extra motivation! Just got the supplies today , super excited to see how it turns out 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @yumnaqazi

It's great that you've received fantastic advice and inspiration from @StevieB, @craftyhopper, and @DanaR. The guides and videos that were recommended should help you with your upcycling. Is it an all timber surface or is it a faux timber laminated finish? If it is, you may have to use a primer for laminated surfaces such as White Knight 1L Renew Tile And Laminate Primer Paint

However, if it is all timber then simply follow the step-by-step guides recommended earlier. We look forward to seeing your upcycling project. You got this!

If you need more advice or information, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects