Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I repair peeling plasterboard wall?

diyprojects
Just Starting Out

How do I repair peeling plasterboard wall?

Hi Bunnings community!

I have a wall covered in the centre with plasterboard and surrounded by plaster that is peeling off. I believe the plasterboard was used to cover up an old window that was in the wall. What materials do I need to smooth out my wall and would I need to replaster the entire wall, or just around the edges of the peeling plaster?

20240110_081742.jpg20240110_081747.jpg20240110_081753.jpg

Note: There was previously wallpaper covering all this, but it was peeled off completely as it was starting to come off at the edges. The old paint has also been stripped off leaving a bare wall, plaster and plasterboard.

Thank you :smile: 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I repair this wall?

Hi @diyprojects 

Yes  that  flaking plaster  will need to be pulled off back to non flaking  area . Basically   it shouldnt be coming off so I would sand it back (orbital sander) to the oriinal hole cover and  re plaster  using a Plaster  joining  tape.  Smooth over  tape until is disappears .  Re apply more  joint  vompound and sand until wall lovely and uniform

Builders Edge 75m Perforated Plasterboard Jointing Tape I/N: 0730321 $5.85

Also   use a broad  joint scraper  Wider to make smoother wall finish.

Kango 150mm Joint Knife I/N: 0098419 $14.98

Also use 

Multi joint  repair compound as it sticks to wall stronger

Gyprock CSR 2.25kg Less Mess Multi-Purpose Joint Compound 

I/N: 0173344

$19.10

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I repair this wall?

Hello @diyprojects 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about how to repair the flaking paint on your wall.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. As you start sanding the damaged edge of the paint, you'll immediately notice which parts are no longer good as they will start to peel and fall off. Your goal while sanding is to create a seamless edge on the painted surface.

In that manner when you put the primer on, you won't see the edge of the peeled paint. In regards to the gap on the plaster board, I recommend following Jewelleryrescue's suggestion of putting plaster tape on and covering the joint properly.

I suggest using Dulux 4L PRECISION White Sealer Binder to cover up the exposed plaster. The Builders Edge 75m Perforated Plasterboard Jointing Tape, Kango 150mm Joint Knife and the Gyprock CSR 2.25kg Less Mess Multi-Purpose Joint Compound will repair the gap nicely.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How To Paint A Wall 

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects