Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I repair this cracked/peeling paint?

clueless1
Just Starting Out

How do I repair this cracked/peeling paint?

Hi,

I have recently moved into a period home and have started to noticed areas where paint has cracked/peeled away from the brick wall. 

There are two areas in particular that I am concerned with and wondering what is the best way to go about fixing so I am able to repaint. One of the images is of a power point which seems to be more or less connected to the plaster/paint and the whole section wobbles slightly when I touch the power point.

Thanks

image_67122177.JPGimage_67126785.JPGimage_67170561.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I repair this cracked/peeling paint?

Hello @clueless1

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about repairing your peeling paint.

Before you begin your repair it's important to find out if the damaged area contains asbestos. I suggest having a look at our best advice: Where might you find asbestos in your home? If it does contain asbestos, I'm afraid you can only patch the damage and paint over it.  

However, if it proves to be safe, I suggest using a 100mm Sharp Edge Paint Scraper to remove the old filler near the skirting board in combination with Flexovit 240grit sandpaper. Once all of the old filler has been removed, I suggest vacuuming all the dirt and debris left over. In reference to your powerpoint, I propose engaging the services of a registered electrician or a handy person to re-anchor your power point to the wall.

Once the power point has been secured back to your wall you can begin sanding off all the old plaster that's been attached to it. When you've prepped the area, I recommend using Parfix 1kg Ready To-Use Multipurpose Filler to fill in the damage. When the filler has totally cured you can begin sanding the area using the Flexovit sandpaper along with the Paint Partner Cork Sanding Block to get a uniform finish. Remove all the dust and debris with a clean rag and vacuum the area to get a clean painting surface.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects