Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do i stop the drawer sticking?

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

How do i stop the drawer sticking?

I was foolish enough to buy a bedside table from FB before I had even seen it and when I did see it was too embarrassed to say what the. I have painted it of course as it looked dreadful with some Magnolia gloss Aqua enamel and did the trims with the same colour paint that is on the bedroom walls. The problem is I can’t stop the drawer from sticking  I have tried candle wax and it looks worse plus I burnt my finger trying to get the wax onto the wooden runners To make it worse they thought I was so nice they gave me a tall mirror which on closer inspection at home was one of those mirrors that you can lock and keep my enormous amounts of jewellery.in. One slight problem is the leg fell off so now what to do. I wonder if Bunnings sell these curved legs that I could glue on. I know I might sound daft but if it was cleaned and painted I think it would look good.  This was before I joined the group .If this post pops up some where else I apologise I lost the original uploading the photo.b🌺

20FD1D97-6644-4C6B-98C3-EBA0BF23E385.jpeg

kel
Making a Splash

Re: how do i stop the drawer sticking

hi @brendawebster44 

grab a metal scraper and try to scrap the wax off the drawer runners,then give the runners a good sanding to smooth everything over,then try the wax again.but don't melt the wax,just give it a light rubbing along the runners.

cheers kel

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do i stop the drawer sticking?

Hi @brendawebster44

Your bedside table looks nice! I suggest first sanding the rails of the cabinet and the drawer until they are smooth to the touch. Use a vacuum cleaner to remove all the dust. Test it out and see if the drawer still sticks. If it does, get some Johnson's baby powder and sprinkle some on the rails. Tell me how you go and if it still sticks I will recommend something else.

Would it be possible for you to post a full photo of the mirror with the missing leg? Once we see it, we can make a recommendation on how to repair it. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Kel, I did as your self and Eric the wise suggested which really miffed me off as I had painted the drawer the night before and it looked so good now I had to sand it all off. Anyway I did and used an old knife to scape all the wax off . Can’t believe I did that but I think this sums up my personality. It’s not measure twice cut once with me . It’s more pin the paint on the donkey.Anyway I did it properly but then the drawer looked horrible and :distressed : get it.!!So I gave it a light paint and when dry decided to cheat and got some selotape and ran it along the inside groves and the groves on the drawer. I just wanted some thing smooth to open and close the drawer but invisible. Well it worked so I’m not complaining. Nevertheless Thankyou for your input. b 🌺

Glad you got a result in the end, sometimes it just doesn’t matter how you get there, hence diy.cheers kel 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects