Hi, there is persistent water damage in our building and this bedroom wall has been repainted several times but keeps bubbling up. Seems as though we are starting to get mould now. Can anyone confirm this from these photos? Is there any way to fix this so that it is safe to sleep in this room for a bit longer without the original building issue being fixed (we are unsure when this will be possible)? Thank you.
We're so sorry to hear about the issues you're having with water damage @Ines. This sounds like a really frustrating situation. Do you happen to know if the walls were repainted with waterproofing paint? You might be interested in this discussion about removing and preventing mould. Let me tag @redracer01 and @MitchellMc so see if they're able to offer a bit more advice. This video talks you through some options for how to control mould.
Thanks Jane. Yes, we have done everything to try to prevent it and then manage it. I was told by the painters that the paint was waterproof but it bubbled within 3 months, so I'm not sure.
Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ines. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.
Do you know what material the wall is made from? If it is brick or concrete, then once the current bubbled paint is removed, you could apply WATERTITE-LX Mold & Mildew-Proof Waterproofing Paint to the masonry. If there is a constant water leak above, then applying this paint will divert the water elsewhere in the wall. It's really an issue that needs to be resolved at the source, but I understand that this is not always possible. Any waterproof paint applied over the existing paint will continue to bubble off as it needs to be applied directly to the underlying masonry surface.
I do not see much mould in your images, mainly just water stains. There are additives such as the Protite 50ml Mould Defender Paint Additive, which can be added to standard paints. However, they will not help with the bubbling you are experiencing. Personally, I use a capful of clove oil in a litre of water spritzed over the area to deter mould. It's an extremely effective solution, which kills the spores and isn't as noxious as using bleach in a bedroom.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Welcome to Bunnings Workshop! Since you are getting a lot of moisture in the wall I agree with @MitchellMc 's analysis that water is entering the wall from above or from some point and is passing through the wall and causing your paint to bubble. This phenomenon where water pushes your paint off the wall is called hydrostatic pressure. Since you are in the process of trying out solutions to your issue, I would like to throw my suggestion in and that is to use Silasec - Waterproofing Cement Paint.
Here's the info :
Bondall Silasec is a unique concentrated waterproofer which forms a permanent waterproof barrier on masonry and concrete surfaces. It is capable of handling hydrostatic pressure from both sides and can be applied under wet conditions. Silasec is non flexible and contains Calcium Chloride.
This combined with @MitchellMc 's recommended paint should give you total waterproofing. You may visit the Bondall site to get all the technical information you wish, but Bondall Silasec is the only product I've come across that deals with this kind of issue. However although it solves the hydrostatic issue, it now becomes a condensation issue. The wall now becomes cold because of the water in the wall and you get temperature differences and at very cold temps you get condensation. You may have to use a large bucket of Damp Free moisture absorber. I hope this extra information helps and possibly solves your paint problems.
I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings.
Please visit the Bunnings website if you need assistance from the Bunnings customer service team.
Thank you so much Mitchell. You have given me a little bit of relief, but I'm still quite anxious about it as it is our child's room. I'm sure that the painters have only ever used waterproof paint and not applied anything to the masonry. I will speak to the agent about it again and see if they'll get someone to try that or let us do it. In the meantime, I will try the clove oil! We are hoping to move to save ourselves the stress but it's not happening as quickly as we would like. Really appreciate your help and advice! Thanks again!
Thank you Red. Really appreciate your input and advice as well. I really hope one of these solutions works. It's quite a stressful situation for us at the moment.
Although it would be nice to fix this issue permanently, I wouldn't expect any adverse health effects to occur @Ines.
As I've mentioned, there doesn't appear to be any mould growth and that brown tinge is just from the water damage. If you start to see black mould growth, then that would start to be an issue, and the clove oil should control it. I'll include a picture of my own water damaged ceiling. I've only just painted over it, and you can already see the brown water stains leeching through again as the owner has not fixed any of my many roof leaks. It's been like this for the 6 years I've lived at the property.
As @redracer mentioned, adding moisture absorbers to the area will remove most of the dampness.