Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add air conditioner vent directors?

James_M
Growing in Experience

How to add air conditioner vent directors?

Hi everyone,

We have these floor vents in our three bedrooms for heating and cooling. I have a couple of questions on them.

They are great but I think would benefit from some deflectors. Just checking if the deflectors available at bunnings would fit these? Photos attached with dimensions.

I also want to know how to take off the cover to clean the inside. Is it as simple as removing the screws that are on the side? (Photo also attached). The cover doesn't simply slide or come off like other wall vents might.

Thanks for any help.

James

20230210_092858.jpg

20230210_092914.jpg

20230210_095916.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Air conditioner vent director

Hi @James_M,

If the vent covers are not a press fit, then the next likely solution would be that those screws are retaining them. A couple of screws on the wall side might also need to be removed. A Trojan 38mm No.2 Phillips Screwdriver will be helpful in removing those screws due to its short length. When removing the vent cover you might expose some sharp tin on the ducting. Make sure to wear some gloves to protect your hands.

The Accord Heavy Duty Floor Vent Air Deflector is designed to suit either 10 x 30cm or 15 x 35cm vents, so it looks like your vent is too large for these deflectors. They would be fine for the depth of your vent as it has quite a large frame, but they aren't long enough as your vent appears to be around 50cm wide. Accord does do a large version that suits up to a 40cm wide vent. Still, that would only partially cover your vent cover and wouldn't be wide enough to sit on the frame of it. 

Were you considering the deflector to direct heat away from furnishings?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
James_M
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell.

I was looking to have the deflectors better direct air more into the room. Currently they do an OK job of pushing the air up but think the room temps would be improved with use of these deflectors. 

Do you know any other options or places that I could fine larger deflectors?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

What are your woodworking skills like @James_M? I'd imagine it would be relatively easy to knock up some timber air deflectors. They'd look quite reasonable painted in white to match the vent. I've created the rendering below to illustrate.

I am not currently aware of any other distributors of larger air deflectors.

Mitchell

James_M
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell. I can give it a crack and see how I go.

Thanks for your help.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'll be keen to see your results @James_M. Please keep us updated.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects