Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach ply wood ceiling to steel framed house?

Sandy13
Just Starting Out

How to attach ply wood ceiling to steel framed house?

Can I attach a ply wood ceiling onto a steel framed house?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: ply wood ceiling

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Sandy13. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about attaching plywood to a steel frame.

The simple answer to your question is that plywood can be attached to a steel-framed ceiling. However, you might like to provide a few more details on your project so our helpful members have a better idea of what you'd like to achieve. If you can provide some images of the ceiling in question, that would also assist; let me know if you need a hand uploading them.

For attaching the plywood to the steel frame, you could use self-tapping metal screws. You'll then need to decide whether you'd like to fill over the screw heads.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell. We are looking to put marine ply onto a vaulted ceiling with a black edging to shadow it if that is what is called. We are in the process of building a PAAL kit home a small home and thought ply look would give it some point if difference. Any more tips would be greatly appreciated   Cheers Sandy13

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds like a wonderful project and will certainly make a difference to your home @Sandy13.

I presume you would like to create this look from scratch. Often these plywood/Shadowline ceilings are a proprietary system that includes a connecting tongue for the sheets. If you were to attempt creating this system yourself, you might go about it by adding a rebate channel to the edge of the sheets with a CRAFTMASTER 4mm Slot Cut With Ball Bearing 6.4mm Shaft Trade Quality Router Bit and then inserting a prepainted length of Metal Mate 50 x 3mm 3m Aluminium Flat Bar as the joiner. The flat bar's width can be adjusted to suit your desired shadowline width.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects