Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a daybed and desk?

richie123
Finding My Feet

How to build a daybed and desk?

36BB5ED3-E7CD-4589-92A6-995E01901FBE.png

Hi All

Would anyone be able advise on how I can possibly build what is shown in the photo. Such as materials and tools needed? I’m a novice and not sure where to start. Thank you all so much🙏🏿🙏🏿

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: advice on daybed and desk

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @richie123. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building a daybed and desk.

Congrats on choosing a rather ambitious project for a novice. With good planning, attention to detail, patience and the assistance of our knowledgeable members, you will be able to complete this project. The Scandi-styled minimalistic design is certainly achievable as it utilises simplistic construction techniques. However, I'd encourage you to break this project down into several steps to avoid over-complicating things. Would you like to start with the daybed, desk or shelving first? I've created a rendering of this project to help you understand how the pieces fit together. Please take a look at it and let me know which areas you need assistance with. 

The vast majority of this project can be built using plywood. Costs can be kept down by using non-structural plywood for anything hidden and only using AA-grade plywood for the exterior where a finer finish is required. You'll need to pick up a circular saw and a straight edge, as there are many long straight cuts in this project. You'll also need a drill driver, clamps, glue, screws and runners for the drawers. Don't forget your PPE, like a dust mask, gloves and safety glasses.

I'll be looking forward to hearing what you'd like to start with and your questions. Once I know where you're beginning, I'll be happy to provide more detailed renderings of the individual parts and how you'll construct them.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell 

This is amazing more than I had expected. Thank you so much🙏🏿🙏🏿🙏🏿I’ll start getting the necessary equipment and will keep you all posted on my journey. Such a wealth of knowledge being shared, I’m so appreciative thank you 🙏🏿 

Richard

Keep us updated, @richie123. I'm super keen to see this project come together.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects