Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a home theatre platform?

Rahvi
Just Starting Out

How to build a home theatre platform?

how to build a 4220 x 1200 x 200mm height home theatre platform

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a home theatre platform?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Rahvi. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building a home theatre platform.

If I understand correctly, do you wish to build some type of stage or platform that will be walked upon? 

I've put together a rendering below, which illustrates a method you could use. I'd suspect the easiest way to achieve your 200mm height would be to create a frame out of two stacked 90 x 45mm MGP10 H2F Termite Treated Blue Pine Timber Framing. This works almost perfectly if you clad the platform with ECOply 2400 x 1200 x 19mm CD Structural Plywood. The internal structure needs support, and you can add additional lengths of stack 90 x 45mm for this. This black car carpet will really give you the theatre feel and can be glued onto the ply with Selleys 800g Kwik Grip Gel Vertical Contact Adhesive.

This sounds like a fantastic project, and I'm keen to follow along, assisting as you go. Please keep us updated and reach out if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: how to build a 4220 x 1200 x 200mm height home theatre platform

Hello Mitchell,

Thank you for this very useful information.

Can I please check with you if this method and material can still be used to make a slightly different specifications platform.

Best Regards,

Garry.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ozieboy. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a platform.

I'd imagine this method could be used to create a variety of different platforms. However, you might like to let our helpful members know a bit more about your project, as they could have some suggestions for you.

I noted the product link for the 90 x 45mm H2-treated Pine Framing Timber was not working, so I've updated it.

I'm keen to assist further, so please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hello @MitchellMc 

Thank you for the welcome.

I am thinking of the riser that is about 4M wide and about a couch deep depth, as the 18mm plywood that i have is 1.2M, so I might stick with 1.2M deep and 20-30mm high.

I have couple of 163x30mm Door jam 5.2 (167 64 H3), was wondering if I can use those to build the frame and if i need more height then add a 70 or 90mm treated pine that i have at the bottom, if you think its a good idea? If yes, how best to attach that piece at the bottom/top, by glue, screws or nut and bolt, can you please advise?

Thanks for your assistance.

Best Regards,

Garry.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ozieboy 

If you have enough pieces of the 163mm x 30mm it would be possible to build the frame with it. If you wish to add the 70mm or 90mm timber frame, I suggest using Selleys 320g Original Liquid Nails Construction Adhesive in combination with Zenith 14G x 150mm Galvanised Type 17 Batten Bugle Head Timber Screws - 25 Pack. The glue and large screws would guarantee that the framing would be secure to the door jamb timber you're using.

Before buying any materials, I suggest drawing your plan on paper or on the computer. In this manner you'll be able to see where exactly you need to position the timber pieces. You'll also be able to estimate the number of screws you'll be using based on all the timber connections.

I then recommend sharing your plan with the community and asking questions about it. We'll then be able to make recommendations on how to assemble your platform.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects