Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an aquarium coffee table?

bilbafta16
Just Starting Out

How to build an aquarium coffee table?

Screenshot_20240129_143217_Chrome.jpg

 I have a 65 ltr ( 50x30x35cm) fish tank and want to convert it into something as attached. A coffee table.

Whats the thickness if base (timber) should I be looking for and what sort of legs can support this weight? Around 85 kg.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build an aquarium coffee table?

Hello @bilbafta16 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about turning your aquarium into a coffee table.

I suggest using 90x45 to form a timber plinth and using a Specrite 2200 x 600 x 26mm Timber Multi Use Pine Panel as the table base for the aquarium to sit on. If you wish to have a thicker base you can double up the panel and cover the edge with a timber trim to hide the benchtop join.

If you wish to have the table higher, it's still possible to use the same 90x45 timber but the frame will need to be built very well to support the weight of the tank. The best part of course is that it can be stained or painted in whatever colour you like.

In regards to the glass top, I suggest speaking to your local glazier and asking for a quote for a safety glass top.

I propose drawing your plan on paper and sharing it with the community along with any questions might have.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects