Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an internal privacy screen?

msmurthy
Just Starting Out

How to build an internal privacy screen?

How to do these

Screenshot_2021-11-09-14-06-01-369_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: privacy screen

Hello @msmurthy

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to build a timber privacy screen.

You can build this screen using pine timber. For the top and bottom parts, I suggest using Porta 90 x 12mm 2.4m Clear Pine DAR your cutting length will depend on the number of timber vertical pieces you will be installing. For the vertical part, I recommend Porta 65 x 12mm 2.4m Clear Pine DAR

It's always best to test the timber pieces that are being installed. In this manner, you'll know how much needs to be cut off. Measure the area where you are installing it to. Subtract the thickness of the top and bottom timber pieces to the overall length. The answer you get will be the measurement for the vertical panels.

I suggest using Zenith 8G x 50mm Gold Passivated Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws - 22 Pack to attach the top and bottom pieces to the vertical ones. Would it be possible for you to tell me what kind of flooring you have? Once we have this information, we can then give you recommendations on how to mount the bottom piece to your floor.  

I will draw you some steps on how to assemble the privacy screen. As soon as I finish the drawings, I will post them here.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build an internal privacy screen?

Hello @msmurthy 

Here are the drawings along with the steps as promised. 

• Decide how long you want your privacy screen to be. Cut two panels from the Porta 90 x 12mm 2.4m Clear Pine DAR, one for the bottom and one from the top.
  • Using a pencil and ruler mark the position of the vertical panels on both top and bottom panels. The closer the panels are, the less you can see through them. If you place them farther apart, it will be easier to see through them at certain angles. I've placed the example at 30mm apart. 
  • It's important to make sure of the height of the vertical panel Porta 65 x 12mm 2.4m Clear Pine DAR. Measure the area you are installing in and deduct the thickness of the top and bottom panel which is 24mm. 
  • Cut the appropriate number of vertical panels and screw them onto the top and bottom panels. Make sure they line up with your pencil marks.
  • Once all the panels are installed, stand the privacy screen up and using a Craftright 1200mm Spirit Level make sure that the screen is square and level before fixing it to your floor and ceiling.

Please keep us updated with your project, we look forward to seeing your privacy screen assembled and installed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

msmurthy1.jpgmsmurthy2.jpgmsmurthy3.jpgmsmurthy4.jpgmsmurthy5.jpgmsmurthy6.jpg

Deeks66
Getting Established

Hello! Could you tell me the best way to mount this to tile floors? Love this idea!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Deeks66,

You can mount items onto tile floors by pre-drilling the fixing locations with a tile drill bit and then installing plastic wall plugs. Your bottom timber mounting plate can then be positioned, pre-drilled and attached to the wallplugs with timber screws.

You could potentially use countersunk Dynabolts through the timber into the concrete slab, but there is a much higher chance of cracking the tiles with this type of expanding fixing.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects