Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean or fix a hazy mirror in bedroom?

KF
Just Starting Out

How to clean or fix a hazy mirror in bedroom?

I have a mirror that is fixed on the back of the bedroom door which is a dry space (no moisture like in a bathroom)

and when it was installed professionally, the back of the mirror was glued to the door.

It has started to show some hazy/misty marks which I can't seem to clean off. Is there anyway to fix it without removing or replacing the mirror?

I'm the picture you can see the areas where the glue has been applied and that area isn't hazy.

1000030339.jpg

1000030340.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to clean or fix a hazy mirror in bedroom?

Hi @KF 

I was reading  one  post and they talked  about the glue  effecting the silver backing causing the  haze.

But your situation is the reverse the glued area is good.

The situation is the same  its very likely the mirror backing hazing up not the front.  It seams the glue is stabalizing some parts of the mirror backing.

If  that was my mirror and I couldnt live with it I would try take it off and maybe spray paint the back and see if it did anything to improve it.  My odds of success  very low.  I might have to replace mirror.

Maybe mirror qualities are dropping these days?  I dont have solid remedy answers  for you sorry.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean or fix a hazy mirror in bedroom?

Hello @KF 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your mirror.

If your mirror has been attached to the back of your door using silicone, it's possible that the installer used a product with acetic acid properties. This would damage the silver backing of the mirror and cause the haziness in it. The installer should have used a water-based silicone which would have been safe for your mirror.

At this point if the damage has occurred at the back, no cleaning product will repair the damage.

In regards to removing your mirror, I suggest engaging the services of glaziers or handy persons who have experience removing mirrors. If you have a regular mirror installed odds are it is not made of safety glass which means that it can easily break or shatter when force is applied making it very dangerous. Professionals often have special tools and techniques to remove mirrors safely.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects