Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover Masonite ceiling joins?

dessoupen
Just Starting Out

How to cover Masonite ceiling joins?

Hi,I have a bedroom which is 2405 in height,putting gyprock will no longer be legal height...using Masonite will work,how will one cover the joins?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: ceiling

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dessoupen. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing plasterboard.

Plasterboard sheets are 2400mm long and get laid horizontally, so your room is only 5mm higher than the combined width of the two sheets. The installation guidelines indicate that a 6mm gap must be left between the bottom of the sheets and the floor, so your 5mm difference is just about spot on. 

Take some 5mm packers and place them under your sheet. Apply your stud adhesive to the studs and then place the sheet on the wall before fixing it off with screws. You can then remove the packers and install your skirting board which will cover the 5mm gap. Here's a copy of the installation guide and a helpful step-by-step guide on How to plasterboard a stud wall.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: ceiling

Hi again @dessoupen,

I just thought I'd add that if you want to use 2440 x 1220mm 4.8mm Masonite Standard, then James Hardie PVC Straight Jointer for 4.5mm can join the sheets. The 0.3mm difference won't affect the use of these joiners on the sheets.

Given that plaster sheets will be fine for your project, I'd recommend you stick with them as they are more budget-friendly, don't require joiners that sit proud of the surface, accept common wall mounting fittings and are far easier to paint. Be mindful that the masonite has a slick coating on its face that standard wall paint won't adhere to.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects