Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to design a walk-in wardrobe?

LoisCoetzee
Just Starting Out

How to design a walk-in wardrobe?

Newly renovated old study space has been converted into a master bedroom walk in robe area. Two walls need hanging space and shelves. I already have two drawer units which I intend to upcycle but that is another project. Professional fit out would be fantastic but cost is an issue. IKEA gave me some idea but not custom fitting so there is wasted space in the corner. Any suggestions welcome. Measurements:

one wall next to the window is 268cm long, 45cm depth, height floor to ceiling 195cm (actually 210cm but need space to move panels in place. Wall on right hand side is 266cm long, 30cm depth and ceiling height 195cm. The ikea design in my screenshot is not ideal but gives an example. Don’t need fancy fittings, so mainly double hanging space and some single hanging for long clothes & coats. Shelves will work on the right hand side for bags, shoes, perfume etc. I have a storage ottoman for the centre of the room

C7D3D3DF-266D-43C8-8EA6-A5EFBF0B0B54.jpeg

AB0B3396-B33A-4BEE-B5DE-D202D759B69C.jpeg

6912F60E-3A3C-4734-A010-ABB9F405C1DB.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Walk in robe fit out

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @LoisCoetzee. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a walk-in wardrobe.

I'd recommend you take a look at these helpful guides:

By familiarizing yourself with creating a walk-in wardrobe, you can then select elements from the Flexi Home and Built-In Wardrobes range that best suit your needs. The wall perpendicular to the window will be easy to fill with something like the Multistore 1500 - 1800mm White Pack 1 Opening Built In Wardrobe Package and then the Multistore 1850 x 800 x 450mm Crisp White 4 Shelves Robe Insert in the corner. However, most of our wardrobe cabinets are 450mm deep, so you'll have limited options returning down the wall towards the door. Perhaps you could add a couple of Multistore 608 x 450 x 2000mm Crisp White 2 Shelves 5 Drawers Storage Unit, stopping short of the door to prevent the cabinet depth difference from becoming an issue. That's a gap of around 644mm, so you could add a Multistore 1766 x 366 x 390mm White 5x1 Cube Unit that's only 390mm deep to fill some of the space.

I've created a rendering with the Multistore online wardrobe planner for you using individual units. You might like to play with the planner to see if you like a different layout better. You can see that I've stopped well short of the door. I'm not sure if the shelving is exceptionally thin on the design you already have, but you certainly don't want the unit bought too close to the door, or you'll hit your shoulder when you walk in. That leftover space is better suited to a slimline shoe rack or something of the sort. A Multistore 1072 x 1072 x 390mm White 1-2-3 Step Cube Unit would fit in there nicely and is only 390mm deep.

Please let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects